Colton Cowser 2022

ShoelesJoe

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s not in AA

You’re right.  15% in low A, 32% in Hi A, which some people argued was too low a level to start him at this year.   That opinion obviously was wrong, as it turns out.   It would be very disappointing if he didn’t earn a promotion to AA this year.  He’s a long way from doing that right now.  

Just now, Frobby said:

You’re right.  15% in low A, 32% in Hi A, which some people argued was too low a level to start him at this year.   That opinion obviously was wrong, as it turns out.   It would be very disappointing if he didn’t earn a promotion to AA this year.  He’s a long way from doing that right now.  

At this rate he's in line to repeat high A.

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

OBP is great but the thing is, if he can’t show a good hit tool and he doesn’t show power, he will eventually just get challenged and be a worthless player.  The OBP won’t be there.

I totally agree.  If he’s really fundamentally struggling, then we would expect to see his OBP to start to crater at some point. His stats are just so weird right now. They are definitely a product of SSS. The OBP numbers provide a hope, at least a little, that Cowser is not totally screwed up. Such a weird stat line. 

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Feel like we keep saying this and then he keeps posting up a 3 K night. And then he has a good night. Etc

Yeah, well....I mean, the system and our future doesn't hinge on Cowser, IMO, not in the way it hinges on Adley, G-Rod and Hall. 

It'd be great if he pans out but if he doesn't, I don't think it's crippling to the future.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, well....I mean, the system and our future doesn't hinge on Cowser, IMO, not in the way it hinges on Adley, G-Rod and Hall. 

It'd be great if he pans out but if he doesn't, I don't think it's crippling to the future.

Agree

He's carrying a .384 OBP w/ only a .243 average, so there is hope, IMO.  He also has almost as many walks (24) as hits (27).  At some point, he's got to start hitting.  Is he trying to make swing adjustments?  Maybe he is being so selective, waiting for the perfect pitch, that it's effecting his strikeout rate. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

He's carrying a .384 OBP w/ only a .243 average, so there is hope, IMO.  He also has almost as many walks (24) as hits (27).  At some point, he's got to start hitting.  Is he trying to make swing adjustments?  Maybe he is being so selective, waiting for the perfect pitch, that it's effecting his strikeout rate. 

I have a theory and that's all I've got.   I think he's either swinging harder (even with two strikes) or trying to lift the ball (his ground ball rate suggests this either isn't happening or is a colossal failure).   

I usually look at a hitter's percentage of extra base hits to total hits.  1/3 is usually about average power.   That's very unofficial on my part.   Last year, Cowser had 45 hits and only 10 extra base hits.   That's a singles hitter.

This year Cowser has 27 hits and 12 extra base hits.   Even though he only has 2 home runs, that's actually pretty good.   The Orioles preach putting your "best swing" on your pitch and I'm guessing they preach swinging that way even with 2 strikes.   This has obviously, if I'm right, been a difficult adjustment for Cowser.   He's grounding out a lot and striking out a lot BUT when he's making solid contact he's been driving the ball better.

What we have to hope, again assuming my theory is correct, is that Cowser can meld the contact ability that he naturally posesses with the new idea of taking your "best swing" on every swing.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I have a theory and that's all I've got.   I think he's either swinging harder (even with two strikes) or trying to lift the ball (his ground ball rate suggests this either isn't happening or is a colossal failure).   

I usually look at a hitter's percentage of extra base hits to total hits.  1/3 is usually about average power.   That's very unofficial on my part.   Last year, Cowser had 45 hits and only 10 extra base hits.   That's a singles hitter.

This year Cowser has 27 hits and 12 extra base hits.   Even though he only has 2 home runs, that's actually pretty good.   The Orioles preach putting your "best swing" on your pitch and I'm guessing they preach swinging that way even with 2 strikes.   This has obviously, if I'm right, been a difficult adjustment for Cowser.   He's grounding out a lot and striking out a lot BUT when he's making solid contact he's been driving the ball better.

What we have to hope, again assuming my theory is correct, is that Cowser can meld the contact ability that he naturally posesses with the new idea of taking your "best swing" on every swing.

As good a theory as I've heard on here. Good post. 

Wouldn’t this be the correct time to make a swing adjustment for more power?  Last year, was him just getting his feet wet in pro ball, and giving our org a chance to evaluate what exactly he needed to change. So it’s good for him to do that at A+ then to at Bowie where the pitching starts to get a lot tougher. 

I’m not worried about Cowser.