Colton Cowser 2022

ShoelesJoe

28 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It's a result oriented business.   Results matter.   If you say the Orioles should have drafted Lawlar and Lawlar turns out to be better, I'm sure we'll be reminded of it like we already are on here by a few.   The problem I have is that those same people will never admit they were wrong IF Cowser turns out to be a better ML player than Lawlar.     

So, basically, if I go with Baseball America's draft order and say the Orioles should take the most highly rated guy each time they pick, I can never be wrong, because that was the right decision at the time.    

I thought Casey Kotchman turned out to be MVP caliber. Did I miss something?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think Lawlar was no. 1 by most.  But he was ranked ahead of Cowser for sure on the lists I saw.   

I think you can drive yourself crazy with 20/20 hindsight.   Once we draft a guy, I focus on whether that guy meets our expectations and don’t give too much thought to who we might have drafted instead.   Right now, Cowser isn’t meeting expectations.   That’s a bigger concern to me than whether we should have chosen Lawlar instead.   I say it’s a bigger concern only because there are so many permutations of how things turn out if we picked another player instead that I couldn’t keep it all straight in my head.   

I’m not using hindsight.

I posted this in the Westburg thread.

am not and was not really worried about Mayo or Westburg.    Cowser is another story.   Until I see the strikeouts significantly reduced, I'm worried.   We have a long way to go, but I'm getting a Cadyn Grenier feeling every time I see 2 or 3 strikeouts in a game.   If he's attempting to get more loft on the ball, that might explain it.   If so, why is his ground ball rate (2.60) going through the roof?     I'm hoping there's a reasonable explanation but I am getting nervous about this one.    I read his pre-draft writeup which is kind of funny to read.   It bascially says Cowser is one of the safest picks in that draft and rarely misses a fastball.   Where is that guy?   I want him back.

6 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Occam's Razor: the simplest solution is the best.

If you believe that, then given his history and the history of baseball, Cowser's just in a bad slump that he'll get out of eventually. 

Let's hope so.

This is mostly likely it. He's top 20ish in the league in OBP with a .387. His OPS is above league average. We all expected more out of him which is fair but to call him a disaster after 25 games is foolish.