Impressions from Opening Day

Frobby

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

No.

I have no interest in going to a game in a dome.

Also folks aren't wrong when they say what a pain it is to get to for most of the population.

Been to a few games there. I honestly don’t hate it as much as everyone else seems to. You are in the Tampa area, no?

McClanahan has to be a front runner for the Cy Young this year.  His stuff was just sick.  Franco will probably be a perennial MVP contender.  Would be nice to hear that said of Adley and Gray Rod in a couple of years.

I think the O's pen will be much improved this year.  Baker and Perez were both impressive to me.  I didn't get to see Lopez pitch, but was good to hear positive reports on him.

Means struggled quite a bit, but part of being a top pitcher is limiting the damage when you don't have your best stuff.  I guess it was more control than stuff that he was lacking because his changeup looking really good.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

No.

I have no interest in going to a game in a dome.

Also folks aren't wrong when they say what a pain it is to get to for most of the population.

The thing to do is make a day of it.  My sister-in-law moved to St. Pete last year so we visited for a week in early March.  There’s a lot of stuff to do there.  And, there’s a massive outdoor sports bar (about a city block in size) directly across from the stadium.  

6 hours ago, SteveA said:

Yeah I saw Roch call it a sellout in his morning blog  yesterday and then I watched it on TV and thought he must have been wrong.  But he was probably just going by the "information" the Rays gave him.

I get you can block off sections and not sell them and still call it a sellout.  But to me the most basic definition of a sellout is that if someone walks up 15 minutes before the game and tries to get a ticket to get in and they cannot (not counting the secondary market).  Was that REALLY the case yesterday?  I find that hard to believe.

They need to pull a Dan Snyder and physically remove thousands of seats so they can call it a sellout with a straight face.

Or have the seats on some kind of clips or rails so they can quickly remove large numbers of them right before each game, and then every game is a sellout.  It's like a Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross Limited. Limited?  Yep, limited to the number we can sell.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

They need to pull a Dan Snyder and physically remove thousands of seats so they can call it a sellout with a straight face.

Or have the seats on some kind of clips or rails so they can quickly remove large numbers of them right before each game, and then every game is a sellout.  It's like a Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross Limited. Limited?  Yep, limited to the number we can sell.

That sounds like it could cost money in labor and storage, Tampa won't go for that. They should be in the market for some long tarps, Oakland Coliseum style.

1 hour ago, Keygans said:

Pathetic.   Might be the first home opener not sold out,  happy 30th OPACY…. 

This is what happens when you ignore your fans during your rebuild. Put embarrassing teams on the field then put together a 3rd class minor league TV and radio broadcasts with announcers that aren't even paid to go on the road.

Wanna get excited about the minors? Go watch the Bowie Baysox on MiLBTV as one of the only AA broadcasts without a center field camera. Wanna know what happened to that prospect that's missed five games? Nothing. State secrets.

Have the longest running website that has was once named the most social sports website in baseball? Deny the owner credentials after 22 years.

Then they wonder why they are offering tickets at 1992 prices and can't get people into the stadium.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1