Hudson Haskin 2022

ChuckS

On 4/20/2022 at 12:06 PM, ChuckS said:

Maybe the promotion to Double A.  Aberdeen is notoriously hard to hit home runs in and I think the whole league skews to pitchers.  He had five home runs in 200 at bats in Delmarva.  That's not nothing. 

Is that true? The 2019 park effects show Aberdeen to be almost exactly neutral for homers, per Baseball America. The 2021 park effects are behind a paywall. I really need to get a Baseball America subscription again. I had been holding out for a coupon code but haven't seen one.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I posted the 2021 park effects before.  Aberdeen was hard to hit homers in 2021 iirc.

Here is that thread. Wonder if the full season effects were as extreme as they looked in the first half. 

Obviously Aberdeen changed leagues between 2019 and 2021 but it is surprising that the park effects changed that much unless High-A parks are all significantly easier to hit in than NY Penn League parks were.

• 2 weeks later...

Haskin has done a nice job of working more walks but we need to see more consistent power.   He hit the three homers in one game and then one more.   Haskin, is a lot more interesting if he's a 20-25 homer player.

• 1 month later...

Boy, this thread got about as cold as Hudson. Haskin's spectacular two weeks in April resulted in a 1.182 OPS for the "month", but then he put up a .663 OPS in May and currently has a .455 OPS in June. The party didn't last very long. 

7 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Boy, this thread got about as cold as Hudson. Haskin's spectacular two weeks in April resulted in a 1.182 OPS for the "month", but then he put up a .663 OPS in May and currently has a .455 OPS in June. The party didn't last very long. 

He started out strong last year in Delmarva too and faded.   He's been disappointing but hopefully he figures it out at some point.  He's in danger of getting passed by organization types like Harris and Fontana at AA and by Cowser and Rhodes at Aberdeen, and Mr. Kjerstad in Delmarva.   Ortiz and Haskins have been disappointing but sometimes the light bulb goes on a little later from some guys and sometimes it never goes on.

Wonder what they saw on him to take them where they did?

I know they felt like a full college season would have really jumped up his ranking but this seems to be a miss.

Its not the biggest deal in the world since all of those picks are usually misses..just wonder what it was specifically about him that they felt so good about.  

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Wonder what they saw on him to take them where they did?

I know they felt like a full college season would have really jumped up his ranking but this seems to be a miss.

Its not the biggest deal in the world since all of those picks are usually misses..just wonder what it was specifically about him that they felt so good about.  

Per Baseball America.  5 Tools!!!!!!

Drafted in the 2nd round (39th overall) by the Baltimore Orioles in 2020 (signed for $1,906,800)

A 39th-round pick of the A’s out of high school, Haskin has been one of Tulane’s best players since he arrived on campus. He hit .372/.459/.647 as a freshman while roaming center field and showing big tools. As a redshirt sophomore this spring he was hitting .333/.452/.500 with 14 walks and 10 strikeouts in 66 at-bats this spring when the season shut down. Multiple scouts compare Haskin's swing to Hunter Pence's in that it works despite being ugly. He dives into the ball and is focused on pulling with power, but his above-average hand-eye coordination makes it all work. Haskin is a plus runner and plus defender in center with a plus arm. He never made an error in his college career and has the tools to play all three outfield positions. A team willing to live with Haskin's swing could get a five-tool player. He has the option to return to school and put up even larger numbers next year to increase his draft stock even more.
  • Upvote 1

I've said it before, but I hate his swing. Just so much vertical movement that ends up with his head hugging the strike zone. I know it doesn't work this way, but I'd pull him and send him to Florida (Neustrom too) and have him rework his swing to get his head more steady throughout the swing. I can't fathom him being able to have success at the ML level. Pitch recognition and getting around on a quality fastball would seem to be really challenging with his mechanics against higher levels. And he'll get beaned over and over again. There's a talented player in there (Neustrom too, but his is more of a last second head jerk...almost violent) but there's too much movement to my eyes. Hope I'm wrong. 

• Like 1

Sounds like there is ability there but a swing he probably grew up with or learned in HS and his very comfortable with but he's had trouble being consistent with.   He might need to taste some failure before he reworks that swing into something more conventional.   I doubt he's at that point yet but it's starting to look like his upside offensively is very limited as he is now.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

He started out strong last year in Delmarva too and faded.   He's been disappointing but hopefully he figures it out at some point.  He's in danger of getting passed by organization types like Harris and Fontana at AA and by Cowser and Rhodes at Aberdeen, and Mr. Kjerstad in Delmarva.   Ortiz and Haskins have been disappointing but sometimes the light bulb goes on a little later from some guys and sometimes it never goes on.

Not sure he needs to worry about Harris. He's not doing so hot in AAA. Fontana has been out for a month but I understand he'll start rehabbing in Sarasota this coming week and be back in Bowie in time for the Patriots games -- Fontana's home town. 

16 minutes ago, JustLearning said:

Not sure he needs to worry about Harris. He's not doing so hot in AAA. Fontana has been out for a month but I understand he'll start rehabbing in Sarasota this coming week and be back in Bowie in time for the Patriots games -- Fontana's home town. 

Harris really has had a tough time in AAA but he's bounced back and forth and has over a .900 OPS at Bowie.    I think Harris and Fontana have a better chance of being in Norfolk's opening day lineup than Haskin does not year.   Of course, a lot will depend on where Cowser, Kjerstad, and Rhodes are at that time.

That gives you an idea, though.  When I think of Oriole OF prospects it's Stowers, Kjerstad, Cowser, and Rhodes.   Haskins is not up there with those guys at this point.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Harris really has had a tough time in AAA but he's bounced back and forth and has over a .900 OPS at Bowie.    I think Harris and Fontana have a better chance of being in Norfolk's opening day lineup than Haskin does not year.   Of course, a lot will depend on where Cowser, Kjerstad, and Rhodes are at that time.

That gives you an idea, though.  When I think of Oriole OF prospects it's Stowers, Kjerstad, Cowser, and Rhodes.   Haskins is not up there with those guys at this point.

I know Stowers got his chance and had a decent debut, but the Orioles aren't really in need of outfielders right now. I can see Stowers being trade bait and having a better chance elsewhere. 

When Fontana, Watson, and Welk were all out on IL, I thought they would bring up Rhodes and then he went out on IL. Instead, they brought Harris down for a few games and moved him back-up to Norfolk. If Fontana continues to produce like he was before his injury, I suspect he'll get moved up before the end of the season. 

Edited by JustLearning