Orioles option DJ Stewart

Legend_Of_Joey

16 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I assume they’re bring up a pitcher. A. Wells on normal rest to start Tuesday seems possible. Rodriguez on short rest seems unlikely….but would be amazing. Watkins would disappoint me most, so that’s probably the answer. 

Roch says that Wells and Watkins are both in Baltimore. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

And I’m fine with that.  I tend to agree with your point here.

But I also can see why CoC asked the question.  It’s not an invalid question to ask and just because he asked it, doesn’t mean he is bashing the team, as interloper insinuated.

Any reserve player is going to have limitations, and that's especially true if you cannot even start on a bad team, and so who plays tends to be a puzzle rather then a straight swap. 

Santander doesn't have great range, so swapping him out for Mancini in the OF isn't a big defensive loss, and you keep a better bat in the line-up. When you get to Camden Yards which now has the big LF...if you're swapping out Hays or Mullins, I think you'd play McKenna as defensive range is a much bigger necessity. So you take the hit in the lineup in order to keep a better defensive arrangement. I don't think it's as simple as, well if you play Mancini in the OF in place of Santander, that means you don't have a 4th OF. 

Now if Diaz had good defensive range, then I think you could have a good 4 man rotation with Mullins, Hays, Diaz, and Santander each getting plenty of at bats...but that doesn't seem to be the case. In reality Hays is probably the prototypical very good 4th OF, but that would require the Orioles to have 3 OFers better then Hays. 

Just now, NCRaven said:

IMO, the only reason to play Mancini in the outfield is to showcase his versatility for a trade at some point.  If they planned on keeping or extending him, he would only be used at 1B or DH.

This doesn't seem necessary with the universal DH now to showcase Mancini as an outfielder. Mancini can go to any NL team as a DH/1B and I doubt any team will trade for Trey to plug him into a corner outfield spot. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

I'd like to see him play every day up here, but I am probably in the minority.

I would like Diaz to put up good numbers in AAA.  At least a .800 OPS for a month.  Seems like it is a competition between Diaz and Stowers as to who gets the next OF callup. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

Right, that's the tough part.  Hopefully Mancini is traded soon, Santander and Diaz could then split the DH/LF at bats. 

I don't think Mancini is dealt before June or July. But I'm hoping that Diaz continues to rake and Stowers does well so both can come up in place of Mancini and Santander (who I also hope we can deal). 

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

And you always want to defend them.  Why is that better?

That said, none of these answers actually addresses his point. McKenna’s place on the team is seemingly as the 4th OFer.  If Trey is going to be used as the 4th OFer, why have McKenna here and not playing everyday in the minors?

I'm defending this because it's absolutely defensible to keep Trey's bat in the lineup while resting the oft-injured Santander at DH. McKenna will get his starts here and there, but he's a defensive replacement and CF backup. He's on the roster to play that role. You're not benching a healthy Trey Mancini, Anthony Santander, or Ryan Mountcastle for Ryan Freaking McKenna in the first series of the season. 

Y'all act like putting Trey in LF is the same as putting Trumbo in LF. It's absolutely more valuable to have the offense in there. It also makes sure that you keep Mountcastle at 1B. He was very clearly a worse COF than Trey ever has been, and we want Mountcastle settling into 1B longterm now. 

36 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

For what it’s worth, Stewart hasn’t played a game or even had a single at bat for Norfolk yet.

Are we sure he is there (or was there before today)? I seem to recall that players with a decent amount of MLB service time have several days to report upon being optioned.

If anyone had any clarity on the timeline I would appreciate it.

10 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Are we sure he is there (or was there before today)? I seem to recall that players with a decent amount of MLB service time have several days to report upon being optioned.

If anyone had any clarity on the timeline I would appreciate it.

I believe 3, but he was put on Norfolk’s roster on Tuesday. Players usually aren’t listed until they report. Unless, of course, the Orioles are changing things again.

• 5 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Stewart must have been released or hurt. Anyone know where he is?

Currently on the Tides roster, on the 7 day IL.

Was placed there on May 8th, so some new status change will be happening with him today or tomorrow I guess.