Shortstop playing time watch

Just Regular

Baysox Week4 - the 48-hour shortstop continues unchallenged.

Gunnar: 3B-3B-SS-SS-DH-3B

Westburg: 2B-2B-3B-3B-SS-SS

Ortiz: SS-SS-2B-2B-3B-off

I think the Saturday Ortiz 3B may have been his first of year, or close to it.   Save for the one 10-run outburst, Richmond pitching stifled Bowie all week.

Baysox Week5, almost like this stuff is being scientifically decided.    xx for Friday rainout they were unable to make up, I guess a tripleheader yesterday would have been a bit much.

Gunnar - 3B-3B-SS-xx-SS-3B

Westburg - 2B-off-3B-xx-3B-SS

Ortiz - SS-SS-off-xx-2B-2B

Seems about like Ortiz is the Tue-Wed SS, Gunnar Thu-Fri, and Westburg runs anchor.

At Aberdeen, Collin Burns is a college guy who got decent Hernaiz-ish money himself, but he does seem buried in the lineup most days.    

Had he been the hot one, Westburg I felt might have pushed Norfolk before the Futures Game, but young Gunnar...it'll be really something if he forces Elias' hand before then.

In a few weeks if Prieto leg heals well, he has an Aberdeen box to check but then perhaps eases crowd for Hernaiz to advance.   Norby doing okay not great, don't feel like he is forcing his way out of Aberdeen yet.    If the pick becomes Brooks Lee, he enters that Aug-Sep mix if he doesn't get mono, etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Will be interesting to see what happens when everyone moves up the ladder.  Norfolk outfield is some kind of packed right now.  The infield is about to be packed also.  Wonder if they keep Gunnar on two days a week at AAA or give him some more reps.  

• Upvote 1

Another week same as all the others.

Gunnar: SS-SS-3B-3B-3B-3B

Westburg: 2B-3B-2B-2B-SS-SS

Ortiz: 3B-2B-SS-SS-2B-off

Happily Prieto back midweek and four more hits today, doesn't seem like he should have much more box checking to do in Aberdeen.   Prieto 5.10.1999 is a few months younger than Westburg 2.18.1999.

• Thanks 1

Another from the assembly line - Gunnar 35-ish games in also got I believe his first off day of the year in the warm.

Gunnar: SS-SS-3B-off-3B-3B

Westburg: 3B-3B-2B-2B-SS-SS

Ortiz: 2B-2B-SS-SS-2B-off

Burns-Hernaiz backed up behind them in A ball; Maikol next step figures to be FCL.   How much longer does Grenier need to play SS regularly?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It might be time to DFA Owings. Call up Martin for Util. Move Gunnar to AAA. 

Its also possible as Gunnar gets even closer he's asked more to focus on 3B, and after Futures Game his ascent puts pressure on the Gutierrez-Nevin-Bannon corner infielder instead.

We'll see in about a year what position he debuts at, and I'd guess know by Christmas if the Opening Day shortstop for the Orioles is going to be anything more exciting than Henderson himself would be.   I ain't trading him for Jeremy Pena or Alex Bregman.

I like the positional flexibility.  It could be that Elias is looking to sign a good/great infield FA this offseason, and wants to make sure the infield prospects the O's have will fit around him.  It never hurts trade value if a prospect can play more than 1 position, imo.

So far:

Henderson 22 starts at 3B, 13 at SS (.946 Fld%, 4.26 RF/9)

Westburg 12 starts at 2B, 12 at 3B, 11 at SS (.957 Fld%, 2.34 RF/9)

Ortiz 17 starts at 2B, 2 at 3B, 13 at SS (.981 Fld%, 3.93 RF/9)

If you go back to last year, Henderson had the highest range factor per 9 then, too, while Ortiz had the best fueling %.  I think Westburg’s much lower RF/9 so far this year has to be a SSS fluke.  He was just a hair better than Ortiz last year.   

To me, the biggest takeaway is that Henderson has gotten steadier at SS this year while continuing to show good range there.  

I still think our best defensive and offensive MLB alignment is going to be:

2B Westburg

SS Henderson

3B Mayo

If things pan out. I truly believe we can win a World Series with that infield if all three of those guys reach their potential and we add some starting pitching via trade and free agency.

6 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I still think our best defensive and offensive MLB alignment is going to be:

2B Westburg

SS Henderson

3B Mayo

If things pan out. I truly believe we can win a World Series with that infield if all three of those guys reach their potential and we add some starting pitching via trade and free agency.

Even better if we can add someone Correa, Bogaerts, Turner, etc. in the offseason. That would then allow us to use one as a trade bait and also provide a bit of a buffer in case they all don't reach their potential (which is more likely than them all becoming what we hope). Add an proven infielder to the mix and you then have the wiggle room in case someone falters. And, if you are fortunate enough to have everyone develop as you expect, then you have extra assets that you can use in a trade to beef up the pitching. 

Week1 of Baysox Prieto, unseating Ortiz from the podium of infield prospects on the roster.

Gunnar SS-SS-SS-3B-3B-DH

Westburg 3B-3B-2B-2B-DH-SS

Prieto 2B-DH-3B-off-2B-3B

I believe Gunnar 3 days in a row is first time that's happened for anyone YTD.

Hernaiz week 1 in Aberdeen with Burns...not doing the day to day but seeing Hernaiz has started at second base four of five games so far.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Final Baysox week, another one where Gunnar nosed a little ahead of Westburg at SS reps.

Gunnar: 3B-3B-SS-SS-off-3B

Westburg: SS-2B-2B-3B-3B-off

Prieto: 2B-DH-3B-off-2B-2B

Could be a revealing week as new Tides if a focus selection appears.   

A fun one might be Gunnar 100% 3B and Westburg 100% 2B because obviously you cannot mess with Cadyn Grenier or Jorge Mateo.