Connor Norby 2022

Just Regular

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

That’s a question a lot of prospects need answered.  I don’t know but I like the Bowie version better than the Aberdeen version.  Similar to Ortiz in that he loves to use the whole field.  His swing, from limited views, seems like he’s a high ball hitter.  Not sure how he is with breaking stuff.  He seems to keep getting better though so I’m hopeful but I don’t think he or Mayo stay on the infield if they stay in the organization.

I've been thinking about the dearth of first base prospects in the organization and having heard about Norby's middling defensive rating wondered if it would be worthwhile to start trying him over there for games; give him a Steve Pearce skillset

40 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

I've been thinking about the dearth of first base prospects in the organization and having heard about Norby's middling defensive rating wondered if it would be worthwhile to start trying him over there for games; give him a Steve Pearce skillset

I think LF or 1B are likely destinations if he isn't dealt.   

18 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Would the same also be said about Norby if perhaps Mateo holds SS and Ortiz goes to 2B?

The impression I have is that Norby is behind Westburg and Ortiz as a defensive 2B.  That makes his path there less likely but not impossible.  

35 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The impression I have is that Norby is behind Westburg and Ortiz as a defensive 2B.  That makes his path there less likely but not impossible.  

I confused myself, tried to make a double  point, one about Norby's defensive projection and second that Westburg is also in the same boat with the recent performance of Ortiz. Pundits say Gunner can be GG at 3B, Tony says Ortiz could be GG at 2B, we already know about Mateo's defense. If he could just hit like the second half we don't have to worry about IF defense for a few years. Urias is utility IF capably playing all 3 positions. 

This is a sign of how good our minor leagues are doing.  In years past a propect putting up these type of numbers would be talked about non stop.  But it is hard to have enough time because we have many multiple players doing great.   

Good times are coming

• Upvote 1

With Westburg, Ortiz, and Norby now at AAA, it'll be easy for them to just play set 3B, SS, and 2B (respectively).  But hopefully they use this time to get Westburg and Norby some reps at 1B.  They have plenty of other IF options to throw them the ball...

Pretty cool, my kids will be excited.  Norby was a guy who treated them well at Aberdeen early this year!

12 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

With Westburg, Ortiz, and Norby now at AAA, it'll be easy for them to just play set 3B, SS, and 2B (respectively).  But hopefully they use this time to get Westburg and Norby some reps at 1B.  They have plenty of other IF options to throw them the ball...

Pretty cool, my kids will be excited.  Norby was a guy who treated them well at Aberdeen early this year!

Since Norby has played 2B almost exclusively, it's definitely going to be tough to get Westburg and Ortiz reps there are Ortiz hasn't played much if any 3B, particularly at Norfolk.    I suspect Ortiz will get most of the SS reps and Westburg will get most of the 3B reps but they might see some time at the other spots still.

18 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Since Norby has played 2B almost exclusively, it's definitely going to be tough to get Westburg and Ortiz reps there are Ortiz hasn't played much if any 3B, particularly at Norfolk.    I suspect Ortiz will get most of the SS reps and Westburg will get most of the 3B reps but they might see some time at the other spots still.

That's the 'easy' route I'm hoping they avoid.  Especially in view of the MLB roster as it stands now.  Management (probably starting with Elias and Hyde) needs to start talking with Britton about filling the 1B org gap somehow with the bats that are performing.  There's no reason to get caught like they did with Gunnar in a crash course learning 2B (and 1B) for a few games. 

Playing time would look something like this:

1B - 35% Westburg, 50% Norby, 15% org guys

2B - 50% Norby, 20% Westburg, 30% Ortiz

SS - 70% Ortiz, 20% Westburg, 10% org

3B - 25% Westburg, 75% org guys

Ortiz is the priority play at SS, but it would be good to increase his reps at 2B too.

Ideally, Westburg's 1B reps would be higher, but this allows him to keep his other skills fresh too.  He might be a great fit at 2B in Baltimore but with Ortiz the priority and Norby's limitation, Westburg is a bit squeezed at 2B.