Connor Norby 2022

Just Regular

11 hours ago, Ripken said:

Not sure Westburg can either.  Sounds like he may end up at 2nd base.

I’ve heard that Westburg’s best position may be second base. But by most accounts he’s capable at short and third. 

Edited by ChuckS

I neglected to mention that the other player who impressed me most at the plate last night was Norby.  Kid has a good feel for hitting, kept the hands inside baseball with a couple opposite field hits including the game winner.  What surprised me the most was the power as he put one midway off the right centerfield wall.  
Well it looks like he followed up last night’s performance with a 3-4 performance tonight.  He is 8-14 in his last three games and so far in August is batting .342 with a 1.04 OPS. 

Edited by Punchandjudy

I can't figure Norby out. He hit .237 at Aberdeen.  He has games where he K's 2 or 3 times.  He goes up and down but overall it's good especially at Bowie.  Would love to get a report on his defense.  He supposed to be a pure hitter and I don't think we've seen that yet.  Looks like they developed his power. Can he be a plus hitter with the power?

Still feel like he's behind Westburg and Ortiz at this point. 

23 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

Has Norby played at 1B at all this year?  Just wondering what flexibility he might have defensively if it’s going to be tough to find him playing time at 2B the higher levels he reaches.

He’s played some LF in addition to 2B.   

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

He’s played some LF in addition to 2B.   

I hope we can hit on one of the non-Gunnar infield prospect group. If Norby, Westburg, Ortiz, Prieto or Mayo can be an above average starter that would be another cost effective resource for our championship team.

Edited by Chaka Garcia

1 hour ago, Chaka Garcia said:

I hope we can hit on one of the non-Gunnar infield prospect group. If Norby, Westburg, Ortiz, Prieto or Mayo can be an above average starter that would be another cost effective resource for our championship team.

I think you can include Vavra in that group. And that's not even including Hernaiz, Holliday, Bencosme, and Wagner.

Nothing is guaranteed, but if you that many legitimate infield prospects, you're about as well situated as possible. In fact, probably going to deal some of those guys for pitching.

• Upvote 2

Just for fun, here's his two stolen bases during those games.  Interesting discussion about a rule change that impacts the first steal; he worked enough unsuccessful pickoff attempts to give him some extra ground off first, if I understand correctly (once two PO attempts have been made, the next has to be successful or the runner is awarded the base, I think).

14 hours ago, justD said:

Just for fun, here's his two stolen bases during those games.  Interesting discussion about a rule change that impacts the first steal; he worked enough unsuccessful pickoff attempts to give him some extra ground off first, if I understand correctly (once two PO attempts have been made, the next has to be successful or the runner is awarded the base, I think).

That’s an interesting rule. I wouldn’t think there would be enough pick off attempts in a normal game to justify creating it.