Connor Norby 2022

Just Regular

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Looks like he has too much power to be described as “pesky.”

Pedroia averaged 10 HRs a year or 15 HRs in an average 162 game schedule.  Would we expect anything more than this or something like Robinson Cano/Ryne Sandberg power numbers?

1 hour ago, 86this said:

Pedroia averaged 10 HRs a year or 15 HRs in an average 162 game schedule.  Would we expect anything more than this or something like Robinson Cano/Ryne Sandberg power numbers?

I'd think averaging 10 would be pretty disappointing on the power front considering he's already hit 23 in his first season in the minors. Maybe the power regresses, but I'd hope not. 

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

What's the deal with Norby?  He's been killing it at Bowie.  Is he thought of as a legit prospect or a guy who can rake in the minors but won't be able to translate to big league pitching?

That’s a question a lot of prospects need answered.  I don’t know but I like the Bowie version better than the Aberdeen version.  Similar to Ortiz in that he loves to use the whole field.  His swing, from limited views, seems like he’s a high ball hitter.  Not sure how he is with breaking stuff.  He seems to keep getting better though so I’m hopeful but I don’t think he or Mayo stay on the infield if they stay in the organization.

2022 AA Stats:

Norby: .946 OPS
Ortiz: .792 (includes cold start and hot finish, over 1.000 at AAA so far)
Henderson: 1.025
Cowser: 1.037
Westburg: .817
Mayo: .700
Rutschman: .921 (in 2021, over 1.000 in 3 games in 2022)

Plenty of context to consider (e.g., age, small sample sizes, injuries), but Norby's bat seems to really be legit, including his power. Makes sense given that was his reputation coming out of school. His BB% is 10.9 and his K% is 19.6%. Not great, but way within acceptable range. Also, he only pulls 38% of his pitches, so he uses the whole field.

If he can stick at 2B, he has a really chance to be a nugget.