Means DL, Smith outrighted, welcome back Lakins

Legend_Of_Joey

Just now, ChuckS said:

Unless I am mistaken, Kevin Smith has cleared outright waivers to go back to Norfolk which means no one wanted him. 

Who do want to trade exactly and what type of stopgap starter to expect to get back at this point in the year after the season has already started?  And what would the point of that be?  To win 65 games instead of 60?

No, I rather give guys Alex Wells and Zac Lowther a chance in the rotation or Vespi in the bullpen rather than continue trotting out the Spencer Watkins and Travis Lakins of the world. 

On the offensive side, I rather promote some of the infielders in Norfolk and see what we have than continue to watch Gutierrez and Odor flail away.  A lot of these guys are 25, 26.  They don't need anymore seasoning in Triple A. 

I disagree on the SP front but def agree on Odor & soon for Gutierrez. For Gutierrez, he was hitting in ST but hasn’t gotten consistent starts since the start of the season. 

The cost for a cheap AAA stopgap won’t be high. Smith was a key piece in a trade for us.

1 minute ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I disagree on the SP front but def agree on Odor & soon for Gutierrez. For Gutierrez, he was hitting in ST but hasn’t gotten consistent starts since the start of the season. 

The cost for a cheap AAA stopgap won’t be high. Smith was a key piece in a trade for us.

No one wanted him on their major league roster for free, which means his value is zero.  It's irrelevant that he was a key piece in a trade for us two years ago. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Obviously one example is a reason not make trades.  

Obviously, the history of baseball is littered with far more than one example where a "small piece" or an "insignificant" prospect far overachieved their prospect status.

It's why trading prospects for stopgaps to get that magical 64th win is a stupid, moronic, very idiotic proposition.  Am I doing it right?

Just now, Pickles said:

Tatis Jr. was a small piece for a stopgap SP.

How'd that work out?

Tatis got a 700K bonus when he signed.  He was a ranked prospect at the time of the trade.

I don't think he counted as a small piece.  I also think that Shields was seen as being better than a stopgap.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Tatis got a 700K bonus when he signed.  He was a ranked prospect at the time of the trade.

I don't think he counted as a small piece.  I also think that Shields was seen as being better than a stopgap.

I don't believe he was a global top 100 prospect at the time of the trade.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Obviously, the history of baseball is littered with far more than one example where a "small piece" or an "insignificant" prospect far overachieved their prospect status.

It's why trading prospects for stopgaps to get that magical 64th win is a stupid, moronic, very idiotic proposition.  Am I doing it right?

History is also littered with trading prospects who were hyped who never did anything for players who played a major part in a teams winning.

But you aren’t mentioning those deals.

And yes, you do stupid and moronic better than anyone. 

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

You know what baseball history is littered with?

Guys that maybe might could be MLB players if things work out right.

Beyond littered.

You can't keep all of them like a hoarder does old newspapers.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

History is also littered with trading prospects who were hyped who never did anything for players who played a major part in a teams winning.

But you aren’t mentioning those deals.

And yes, you do stupid and moronic better than anyone. 

Major parts in teams winning 64 games?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

You know what baseball history is littered with?

Guys that maybe might could be MLB players if things work out right.

Beyond littered.

You can't keep all of them like a hoarder does old newspapers.

Nor do you trade them for stopgaps to get to 64 wins.

1 minute ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

They didn’t want them on their 40 man, not the same thing as not wanting him.

So you're telling me someone would want to trade for a practically 25 year old Kevin Smith so they can develop him in their farm system?

I would argue it is the same, when we are talking about 25 year old players who are barely prospects. 

Just now, Pickles said:

Major parts in teams winning 64 games?

It depends on the player.  Do they help the younger players?  Are they signed for an additional year?  A stop gap is someone not here long term.  To me, that could be someone signed through next year.  

There are plenty of situations out there  where making moves to make the team better now is absolutely the right thing to do.

Don’t worry, I’m sure if Elias did just this, you would praise him for it.