The attendance thread 2022

Frobby

8 hours ago, survivedc said:

I’ll be at Checkerspot before the game today, $6/$7 for much higher quality pints.

We took 8 16OZ Coors light cans to the parking lot and had two each before entering. Sadly I’d rather patronize the tea and would if not for their greed.

13 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

All US sports pricing seems to have gone to the charge more/sell less model.  Tickets, concessions, everything.  I'm sure they have data showing that increases revenues today.  And no one cares about five or ten years from now when the next generation of fans is half the size of the last, because management has almost certainly turned over by then and all that matters is today's profits.

The stadiums are smaller and smaller to accommodate this model.  Which is sorta fine until you're DC and you don't get any 2026 World Cup matches because the only decent soccer pitch in the area is Audi Field that seats 22k, and any World Cup match is going to draw 40k, 50k, 60k+.

DC didn't get the WC because their only rightly sized venue is FedEx Field which is a piece of crap stadium with horrible wait times to get out when the game ends, they teamed with Baltimore which does have a quality venue but has crime/perception issues, and they were beaten out by Boston which had Robert Krafts money and backing and connections in the international soccer community.  Audi Field, a fine MLS venue (which I visited for the first time a couple weeks ago), was never going to be part of the World Cup due to it's size.

14 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I follow a Twitter feed called Footy Scran.  They post pictures, descriptions and prices of food and drink from soccer stadiums around the world.  US sports food/drink prices are routinely laughed at.  You can get six beers in a carrier at Borussia Dortmund in Germany for the cost of a single beer at many US venues.

A sausage, some fries, and a beer at a Brazilian match might be like $6-8, in Europe probably $12-15, in the US it's $25.

The other day someone posted a nice plate of assorted BBQ from Sporting Kansas City for $10 and the response was something like holy f'ing @##$%$%, that must be the cheapest food in the entire country, let's all go to KC.

For beer snobs like me who only drink good beer, the prices are even more absurd.  $15 bucks is almost low end.  I do my drinking and eating pre game.    

20 hours ago, emmett16 said:

First time I went to a La Liga game I walked around stadium twice looking for a beer.  When I finally asked someone, he was like…  Yea, we don’t sell alcohol here, there is already problems with violence in and around the stadium.  Alcohol sales during games would only exacerbate the problem. The Ticket to the game, however, was close to 100 euro.  

Huh, because in most of the rest of Europe beer and alcohol are expected. I've gone to five games in Germany in various divisions and beer was readily available.  I know alcohol is at almost every English stadium. And season ticket prices for Tottenham Hotspur start at about $1000, or $26 a ticket.  Of course they can go up from there, but center of the south stand are only $1400 a year, or less than $50 a match.

Now, as an American for most EPL or Bundesliga or similar matches that are frequently sold out I'd have to get tickets on the secondary market or through some kind of travel package and they could be much more.

7 hours ago, SteveA said:

For beer snobs like me who only drink good beer, the prices are even more absurd.  $15 bucks is almost low end.  I do my drinking and eating pre game.    

I go to games infrequently, but will occasionally get a good craft beer at the game as a treat.  The prices are ridiculous, although it's not unheard of for something like a good Belgian abbey ale to go for $20 a four pack at the beer store, so you'd expect anything like that at a ballgame to require signing over your first-born son.

I'd love to go to a Belgian soccer match and get a really good beer for like $6-8.

7 hours ago, SteveA said:

DC didn't get the WC because their only rightly sized venue is FedEx Field which is a piece of crap stadium with horrible wait times to get out when the game ends, they teamed with Baltimore which does have a quality venue but has crime/perception issues, and they were beaten out by Boston which had Robert Krafts money and backing and connections in the international soccer community.  Audi Field, a fine MLS venue (which I visited for the first time a couple weeks ago), was never going to be part of the World Cup due to it's size.

Yep, I followed all of that pretty closely.  I thought they'd figure some compromise to get the capital some games, but I guess all of those factors conspired against us. I blame Dan Snyder. No matter what what problem you're talking about in any part of your life you have roughly a 50-50 shot of it being his fault.

13 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Huh, because in most of the rest of Europe beer and alcohol are expected. I've gone to five games in Germany in various divisions and beer was readily available.  I know alcohol is at almost every English stadium. And season ticket prices for Tottenham Hotspur start at about $1000, or $26 a ticket.  Of course they can go up from there, but center of the south stand are only $1400 a year, or less than $50 a match.

Now, as an American for most EPL or Bundesliga or similar matches that are frequently sold out I'd have to get tickets on the secondary market or through some kind of travel package and they could be much more.

https://euroweeklynews.com/2021/09/24/football-fans-could-be-allowed-to-drink-alcohol-in-stadiums-again-after-a-three-decade-ban/

8 hours ago, SteveA said:

Nathan Ruiz tweeted it was the first time we had drawn 25K+ to back to back games that didn't involve NYY or Bos since 2018

Amazing what people will do for a Hawaiian shirt or a floppy hat.  Also, we only get one series a year to see Trout and Ohtani.   I think the players were pretty psyched to have so many fans in the stands.   Keep winning, and fans will come and be energetic.   That’s how it works!

35 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

So I looked it up a bit, apparently in England most stadiums sell alcohol but you can't drink it at your seat.  You have to stay at a bar under the stands or the concourse or something.  I didn't know that.  I've only been to one English match and that was in the 5th-tier National League almost 20 years ago. I'm sure I didn't drink anything.

In Germany you absolutely can drink beer at your seat at every match I've been to.  The only weird thing was that a lot of places ask you to turn your plastic cup back in so they can wash it and reuse it.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

So I looked it up a bit, apparently in England most stadiums sell alcohol but you can't drink it at your seat.  You have to stay at a bar under the stands or the concourse or something.  I didn't know that.  I've only been to one English match and that was in the 5th-tier National League almost 20 years ago. I'm sure I didn't drink anything.

In Germany you absolutely can drink beer at your seat at every match I've been to.  The only weird thing was that a lot of places ask you to turn your plastic cup back in so they can wash it and reuse it.

Never doubted you.  In Germany beer flows like water.  In Spain - no bueno. 

• 2 weeks later...

Saw today that average MLB attendance at the all star break was 26,409, down 5.4% from the ASB of 2019, the last year without attendance restrictions.  I think the O’s are a little better than that viz. 2019.   

However, when 28,468 for a Friday night against the Yankees is considered a big crowd, the bar is pretty low.