Terrin Vavra 2022

interloper

2 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I’m going to throw it out there, that if you - random person on message board - “realizes” he’s not an mlb 2nd baseman, pro scouts from other teams would be able to figure it out too. 

(he’s also played a good amount in cf this year, and if you can handle cf defensively, you can generally handle lf/rf) 

No. I am a member of the Hangout Grand Counsel. I know and see all that has been and all that will be.  

• 2 weeks later...

Only a one-game sample, but Vavra hit some line drives in Durham yesterday. I hope he can do it again tonight. He didn't much of a chance to make any tough plays in center. I wonder what kind of defender he is at all his positions. It seems he could cover a lot of areas for the Orioles in 2023.

I'm not a scout, but the prospect reports don't seem to say he can't play 2b. How bad is his defense actually? Fangraphs and Milb both have him at 50 field, and fangraphs says he can play both middle infield positions. The Orioles have definitely been working him in CF this year though

On 7/24/2022 at 11:57 AM, ChosenOne21 said:

Yeah, I can't imagine Vavra's 2B glove is that much worse than Odor's and his bat is probably much better

He's a career .983 fielding pct. at 2nd ....  in 923 innings.

Odor is a career .974 fielding pct at 2nd

• Upvote 1

Also, I've heard criticism of Vavra regarding his ability to turn a DP.

Vavra (minors career) turns  0.73 DP's per 9 inning game.

Odor (career) turns 0.75 DP's per 9 inning game.

(and that's with Vavra playing on MILB fields, and taking tosses from MILB players)

56 minutes ago, owknows said:

Also, I've heard criticism of Vavra regarding his ability to turn a DP.

Vavra (minors career) turns  0.73 DP's per 9 inning game.

Odor (career) turns 0.75 DP's per 9 inning game.

(and that's with Vavra playing on MILB fields, and taking tosses from MILB players)

I’ve been to a few games at Harbor Park, so not enough to draw any firm conclusions and I’m also not a scout, but Vavra’s range seems fairly limited and he doesn’t have a cannon for an arm like Schoop. I don’t think he could’ve made the play that Odor made yesterday when he charged the ball, barehanded it, and threw it to first. I think he would be a slight drop off from Odor, but it wouldn’t be as noticeable as the drop off from Mateo to Westburg at short.

I actually think Westburg would be the best defender that they could play at second. He looked good when I saw him at second. I like that they have been playing him at second in addition to short and third this year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sydnor said:

I’ve been to a few games at Harbor Park, so not enough to draw any firm conclusions and I’m also not a scout, but Vavra’s range seems fairly limited and he doesn’t have a cannon for an arm like Schoop. I don’t think he could’ve made the play that Odor made yesterday when he charged the ball, barehanded it, and threw it to first. I think he would be a slight drop off from Odor, but it wouldn’t be as noticeable as the drop off from Mateo to Westburg at short.

I actually think Westburg would be the best defender that they could play at second. He looked good when I saw him at second. I like that they have been playing him at second in addition to short and third this year.

I agree that you really can't tell the whole story from stats... but I guess my point was that Vavra won't embarrass himself. Not at 2B... and Not in the OF.

Is Westburg a better defender? Maybe.

But there's room for Westburg and Vavra.  Not sure you're getting much out of Nevin or Arauz.

I think you have redundant coverage of 2B, SS, and 3B with Urias, Mateo, Odor, Vavra, and Westburg

And throw Stowers in the mix too. For McKenna, or after trading Santander.