Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

2 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

If you are going to put him in the top third of the order, I'd rather 3rd. I like Adley in the 2-hole and like that Adley as a switch hitter at least breaks up the lefties a bit (even if he's struggled a bit swinging from the right-side). 

Mullins (CF), Adley (C), Henderson (3B), Santander (DH), Mountcastle (1B), Stowers (RF), Hays (LF), Urias (2B), Mateo (SS)

I don't care for Urias in the 4-hole, but wouldn't mind him higher than I put him above. I also don't think we'll see Henderson that high in the order yet, but maybe next year.   

Agreed. That should 100% be the new everyday lineup. The best defense as well. Having Santander at DH and not RF, helps any D upgrade from Odor to Urias at 2B. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bobmc said:

I’m jelly being in Greece and unable to watch highlights until the wake-up’s.  But what a great surprise today!  😃  Home tomorrow night!

I’m heading there Saturday. Really in opportune timing with the Os fighting for a playoff spot. Don’t think the wife would appreciate me watching games at 4am or whatever time. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JR Oriole said:

I was thinking the same thing with the single.  That ball rocketed off the bat with such violence it looked like a classic Cody Bellinger swing where you wonder how the ball doesn't end up out of the stadium.  

This is based on absolutely nothing material, but the perceived bat speed and loud "pop" of that hit reminded me of what it looked/sounded like when I first watched Vladdy hit with the Jays. I hope there is more of that to come. Either way, one hell of an exciting debut. 

21 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Well then it totally made no sense for the Orioles to be playing Henderson at 2B and 1B so much over the last week. I mean we all get the Orioles fascination with Odor at 2B, so that's not really surprising, but why play your top prospect at mostly 2B/1B over the last 11 games then claim he's mostly going to play 3B and SS?

It seems to indicate that the entire organization is not always on the same sheet of music as much as we like to think they are.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well then it totally made no sense for the Orioles to be playing Henderson at 2B and 1B so much over the last week. I mean we all get the Orioles fascination with Odor at 2B, so that's not really surprising, but why play your top prospect at mostly 2B/1B over the last 11 games then claim he's mostly going to play 3B and SS?

It seems to indicate that the entire organization is not always on the same sheet of music as much as we like to think they are.

Could just be as simple as them wanting him to have more versatility.  I never felt he was really going to play on the right side.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm assuming if Mountcastle or Odor goes down with an injury they'd look to him to be able to fill that spot.  Probably due to his sheer athleticism they'll try to see how versatile he can be and it's better to do that in the minors than on the fly in the majors.  At least now he'd have an idea of what he'd be getting into at either position.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Could just be as simple as them wanting him to have more versatility.  I never felt he was really going to play on the right side.

When you are running out sub replacement level player at 2B and you don't think Urias is the guy to replace him, then it made some sense for the rest of this year to have him play some 2B, even though longterm he's going to be on the left side of the infield.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm assuming if Mountcastle or Odor goes down with an injury they'd look to him to be able to fill that spot.  Probably due to his sheer athleticism they'll try to see how versatile he can be and it's better to do that in the minors than on the fly in the majors.  At least now he'd have an idea of what he'd be getting into at either position.

Perhaps. The Orioles are all about moving guys around in the minors leagues with just about everyone playing another position or two outside of their main one. It just seemed weird they didn't play him all year at 2B or 1B then 11 games before he gets promoted he plays 6 games at 2B and 3 at 1B only to have the manager say he's not going to play there much. 

• Upvote 1

I don't see them giving less playing time to Henderson or Urias. Seems like everyone's just going to be on a rotation. Udor's defense has picked up, but as much as I'd like to bench him, I'd also like to get Santander out of the field. Not sure what their plan with Stowers is. Odd lineup tonight.

Edited by dzorange

14 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Watching the game replay now.  These guys, usually drunk, that yell stuff at ballgames are stupid, but entertaining.  Yeah, nothing says overrated like going 2 for 4 in your MLB debut w/ a HR and great defense.

This is my favorite baseball heckle of all time.

Also, the overrated chant is more of a compliment than anything else.