The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

Well, the Red Sox will have an opening in RF in 3 years when J.D Drew contract expires. They will make a hard push for him.

Saying that, I think Markakis will ride it out until FA.

And for those who think not signing Teixeira isn't a big deal, your wrong. You don't think other players around MLB don't notice things? They see that the O's can't even convince a "Hometown " boy to come home, why would they want to play here.

I talk to Roy Firestone a lot outside the HO, and he has told me many times of players he's talked to, that has said no one wants to play here. And if you don't believe me, ask him.

Missing out on Tex is just another blow to an already crippled reputation.

That's why you go over $23MM

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SALARY CAP - 100,000,000 all teams

Baseball would be fun to watch again. The Rays could spend 50 mil more and the Yankess would spend 200 mil less.

This needs to happen.

That would be great, but for the smaller market teams, how could they come close to that if the high rollers still have all the best talent? You need more than a hard salary cap in baseball. Let me say, though, I am not against a salary cap, but it has to come at a reasonable price.

Guest BrettMeister86

Absolutely no reason why Angelos shouldn't go 185 he is paying for the savior of his franchise and really the survival of the Baltimore Orioles. Can't put a price tag on that.

Not totally against a cap either, but I agree. Teams like the Royals are struggling to pay 30 million or whatever. Having a cap isn't gonna help them.

Hey Moose you mind if I PM you something I came up with over in another thread and see what you think? I am seriously thinking about writing up a letter to all owners as well as the MLBPA and the commish's office.

Text from WNST: "Boston media reporting Red Sox owners ready to offer and sign Mark Teixeira for 8 years, $184 million"

Like if they offer it, it automatically means hes going to sign...

This is just like any team making an offer. Boras is not going to let Tex sign immediately anyway, he is still going to shop around. This is just confirmation of of the report earlier in the week that the Sox were prepared to make an offer...

Geez some of you guys get so up and down with ever little rumor. Wasn't it like two days ago that the Orioles were supposedly the front runner? Now today the Sawx supposedly are (even though no one can decide on what they have actually offered)? I want Tex to sign as much as anyone else, but come on. It's not worth getting all worked up over every little news report.

Need I remind you:

We had no trade in place for Erik Bedard

Furcal agreed to a deal with the Braves.

I'm sure there are others, the point is that no one knows what is going on. Belkast has remained optimistic, although he has curbed his enthusiasm a little after thinking about past transgressions.

If it gets done, it'll get done. If not, then we move on. But as for now, nothing is done and no one has any real clue what they're talking about.

Archived