The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

If there are 5 bidders for something, and you are the lowest bidder, how can that not be considered cheap?

If you are bidding for a car and the bid goes over and beyond what you deem its value to be, that is not cheap that is smart.

I still contend that if we are only $10mm from the final bid, we will match the offer. If the best offer goes much beyond that then we won't. What AM is not going to do is increase his bid and be used as a pawn. I think he cryptically made that point yesterday. We have an offer that appears to be in the ball park of other teams offers. If Tex is serious about coming here then we have flexibility but he is not going to increase his bid for Boras to use to drive the price up on others. He isn't going to get into a bidding war. Partially because it is stupid and partially because we aren't the Yankees. It is actually very smart. By keeping his bid in the neighborhood of others while not the highest, and then saying there is "flexibility" he is essentially putting it on Boras and Tex to come back to him and trust me Boras isn't going to not come back to the O's.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you are bidding for a car and the bid goes over and beyond what you deem its value to be, that is not cheap that is smart.

I still contend that if we are only $10mm from the final bid, we will match the offer. If the best offer goes much beyond that then we won't. What AM is not going to do is increase his bid and be used as a pawn. I think he cryptically made that point yesterday. We have an offer that appears to be in the ball park of other teams offers. If Tex is serious about coming here then we have flexibility but he is not going to increase his bid for Boras to use to drive the price up on others. He isn't going to get into a bidding war. Partially because it is stupid and partially because we aren't the Yankees. It is actually very smart. By keeping his bid in the neighborhood of others while not the highest, and then saying there is "flexibility" he is essentially putting it on Boras and Tex to come back to him and trust me Boras isn't going to not come back to the O's.

What if there aren't many other cars, and the only one's left have transmission problems and bad brakes? I think that will effect your bidding.

The 7/$150M offer is just the ante.

Putting that offer up gets us a seat at the table with the other players.

It isn't "cheap", it isn't "the lowest offer", it isn't anything more than the ante.

AM & PGA now get to play the game.

I don't believe for a second that AM or PGA thought 7/150 would "get it done".

But you don't get a chance to make the winning bid unless you're sitting at the table with the other players.

The O's are now sitting at the table and playing their cards (albeit close to the vest), which is the best place we can be until the game is over.

just watched sportscenter and olney says this can go another 4 or 5 days

Of course...I said the other day that it isn't likely to happen before the weekend...Just not the way it works normally with a Boras client.

This will likely drag out through the weekend and into the beginning of next week.

What if there aren't many other cars, and the only one's left have transmission problems and bad brakes? I think that will effect your bidding.

Well that would play into what you deem the value of the car you are bidding on is, but that is subjective. Also important are opportunity costs of committing $160 or more million to one player.

While I would love to sign Tex, I don't think that if we don't we are doomed forever.

Good news everyone.

A while ago' date=' my wife said that Tex would sign with the O's the day I received the "new bird" hat from MLB.com.

Guess what I just got???

Its in the bag... literally.[/quote']

Mine was on backorder... does this mean I should look for mine today or tomorrow? Excellent!

Archived