The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With all due respect to Guts, and I respect the hell out of him for walking out on Boras, I highly doubt Boras lost any sleep over losing out on Guthrie. Its not like he was a high dollar player of his.

Do you think it signals that Guthrie wants to work something out as far as a contract is concerned?

By the way, Guthrie seems to be one of the classier individuals to don the orange and black. I remember going to a game his first year here and noticed he had made his way up to the LF Upper Reserve to sign autographs... who does that anymore?

Chiming in on the Smoak vs. Matusz / Firstbase vs. Pitching draft decision.

Andy MacPhail has made it very plain that his overall strategy is to develop starting pitching within our system so that we don't have to give guys with major injury histories and one season with more than 12 wins a five year $80 million contract. He's stated publicly that if he's going to spend big free agent dollars, he's much more likely to do that for a bat than an arm. Given that, his decision to draft the best available pitcher makes and to pursue a big bat for 1B in free agency makes perfect sense.

Now, if we are unsuccessful in our pursuit of Teixeira, that present's a completely different problem. Personnally, I'm in the blow it up (not firesale) group. Look for the best possible trades for our most desireable players. Would I trade Markakis? Sure, if the price was right - say to the Dodgers for Kemp, Kershaw and another prospect. Roberts to the White Sox for Getz, Poreda and another prospect or to Cleveland for Cabrera, Miller and another prospect, you betcha. Guthrie to Texas - we won't get Smoak, because you can't trade a player who's just been drafted until he's played a full season - for Chris Davis and Elvis Andrus, yeah. Luke Scott for Pie, Cedeno and a pitcher, go for it. George Sherrill, uh-huh. [Okay, I'm running out of ways to say "yes"]

I'm for going big with Tex or going young with prospects. I don't want to go in between with something like Huff at 1B, extending Roberts, and bringing back someone like Millar to DH. That would be painful beyond belief and would not get us any closer to a goal of winning anything within the foreseeable future.

Can someone give me a reason they don't like Boras? Like an actual factual reason of something that actually happened and not just opinion.

Well, if Tex signs here, people will start loving him, because he'd be the agent of our all-star first baseman, our soon to be all-star catcher, and our ace pitcher. That's some power he'd have on the O's team.

With all due respect to Guts, and I respect the hell out of him for walking out on Boras, I highly doubt Boras lost any sleep over losing out on Guthrie. Its not like he was a high dollar player of his.

I think this is a Jerry MacGuire situation. The new agents probably are paying more attention to Guthrie than Boras did, developing a personal relationship, etc.. As you said, Guthrie is probably down a bit on the Boras totem pole and can't devote as much time to a player like him as a lower profile agency is likely to do.

I think this is a Jerry MacGuire situation. The new agents probably are paying more attention to Guthrie than Boras did, developing a personal relationship, etc.. As you said, Guthrie is probably down a bit on the Boras totem pole and can't devote as much time to a player like him as a lower profile agency is likely to do.

Do you think Guthrie air dries?

He'd be part of the package. And it wouldn't have to be Smoak.

Markakis and Roberts for ACab, Laporta, Mills, Miller and Hodges

Theres 1B, 2B, 3B and RF and a SP

That's just an example...

Yeah, I think we could rebuild much cheaper and quicker by dealing guys like Scott, Roberts, Sherrill, and even Guthrie and Markakis. I think Roberts could land Mills and Miller. Markakis could likely land a package of LaPorta and Escobar types. Guthrie would likely a single top prospect and a mid range high upside prospect. Sherrill could possibly bring us two B type players and Sherrill could bring a B and a C+. Let say we deal these guys and get the following graded prospects.

A- (For Markakis)

B+ (For Roberts)

B+ (For Guthrie)

B- (For Roberts)

B- (For Sherrill)

B- (For Markakis)

B- (For Scott)

C+ (For Guthrie)

C+ (For Markakis)

C- (For Scott)

C- (For Sherill)

With our current prospects, this would be how to rebuild in a hurry for very little team salary.

Guthrie fired him.

I heard that at the winter meetings Guthrie rented office space, just so he could invite Boras into his office and say "step into my office, because you're !#!$@ fired."

Sorry, that story is completely made up. I may be losing my mind due to this fiasco.

Chiming in on the Smoak vs. Matusz / Firstbase vs. Pitching draft decision.

Andy MacPhail has made it very plain that his overall strategy is to develop starting pitching within our system so that we don't have to give guys with major injury histories and one season with more than 12 wins a five year $80 million contract. He's stated publicly that if he's going to spend big free agent dollars, he's much more likely to do that for a bat than an arm. Given that, his decision to draft the best available pitcher makes and to pursue a big bat for 1B in free agency makes perfect sense.

Now, if we are unsuccessful in our pursuit of Teixeira, that present's a completely different problem. Personnally, I'm in the blow it up (not firesale) group. Look for the best possible trades for our most desireable players. Would I trade Markakis? Sure, if the price was right - say to the Dodgers for Kemp, Kershaw and another prospect. Roberts to the White Sox for Getz, Poreda and another prospect or to Cleveland for Cabrera, Miller and another prospect, you betcha. Guthrie to Texas - we won't get Smoak, because you can't trade a player who's just been drafted until he's played a full season - for Chris Davis and Elvis Andrus, yeah. Luke Scott for Pie, Cedeno and a pitcher, go for it. George Sherrill, uh-huh. [Okay, I'm running out of ways to say "yes"]

I'm for going big with Tex or going young with prospects. I don't want to go in between with something like Huff at 1B, extending Roberts, and bringing back someone like Millar to DH. That would be painful beyond belief and would not get us any closer to a goal of winning anything within the foreseeable future.

I think you are severely overrating the value of Roberts and Markakis.

Archived