Catching has made a big difference

accinfo

I don't know how much but having catchers that can block balls in the dirt have made a difference with this year's pitching staff.  The third strike to the batter after the inside the park homerun was on a breaking ball that bounced.  Chirinos just caught it like a decent catcher does.  I could see Severino completely whiffing on that ball and the guy gets on first base.  Then the whole rest of the inning could go in a very different direction.  A young pitcher like Bradish needs to know he can bounce that breaking ball and not let a runner advance, etc with confidence.  It has to make a big difference.  Watching the Orioles the last few years have been frustrating for many reasons but watching Severino catch and the DJ Stewart's playing the outfield was the most frustrating for me.   I know they thought maybe Severino would hit more than he did but that went on way too long. 

• Upvote 3

I'm so incredibly happy with the catching this year, and so happy that Severino is gone. Means could have had a perfect game if Severino blocked that ball. It seemed like every game Severino started at least one ball got past him. Hope Milwaukee is enjoying him. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Beysbol said:

I'm so incredibly happy with the catching this year, and so happy that Severino is gone. Means could have had a perfect game if Severino blocked that ball. It seemed like every game Severino started at least one ball got past him. Hope Milwaukee is enjoying him. 

I don't think they are. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33675785/milwaukee-brewers-catcher-pedro-severino-suspended-peds

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

That story is pretty bizarre. He claims he took a medication that contained Clomiphene (classified as a PED) in order to improve the chances that he and his wife could finally have a child. Except… the medication he took helps improve ovulation (?!).