Adley is in the Show!

Sports Guy

Aside from the check swing he had a few other borderline calls go against him.  

All in all I think he's having terrific ABs.  You can see the elite plate discipline and pitch recognition.  I don't think he's barreled up a single ball yet though.  Just missed on a few of them.  I expect he'll struggle for a few more weeks and then start to turn it on.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But my point was very obviously about Adley.

It wasn't a generalized statement.

I don't think that, for instance, Creed Williems should be learning in the majors.

Considering your past comments about Gunnar Henderson, I really wasn’t sure.  In any event, we agree on Adley, so enough said on this.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Considering your past comments about Gunnar Henderson, I really wasn’t sure.  In any event, we agree on Adley, so enough said on this.  

I'm still feeling pretty good about the idea of signing 2021 Gunnar to a very team friendly 10 year contract.  😉

Some players you can push and some you can't.

The game is faster in the majors. The pitchers are better.  Adley is a talented guy.  He will adjust.   Give him time.

Why would anyone send him down.  He is as good right now as Chirinos and Bemboom both offensively and defensively.   Just chill and watch Adley learn the league.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not that I think he's overmatched but even if he is, how is going back to the minors going to solve the issue?

He has to learn how to adjust to major league pitching.  The best way to do that is by facing major league pitching.

If the scouting reports were all wrong and he just doesn't have it more time in the minors isn't going to change that fact.

All good points. The Orioles are not competing this year, so at the end of the day, this year is all about his adjustment to the major leagues. Let's see him get 200 PAs under his belt and access a bit.

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

My guess is with a combo of the heat and Ray pitching he is sitting. Possible everyone’s favorite McKenna even gets a start. 

And we're likely getting a Chris Owings sighting tonight with Robbie Ray a southpaw getting the start. It worked out Monday against LHP Rich Hill....well except for McKenna and Owings not doing anything against a supposedly favorable pitching matchup. 

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

All good points. The Orioles are not competing this year, so at the end of the day, this year is all about his adjustment to the major leagues. Let's see him get 200 PAs under his belt and access a bit.

How often did he ambush first pitch fastballs in the minors? It feels like every  count he has 2 strikes on him. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

How often did he ambush first pitch fastballs in the minors? It feels like every  count he has 2 strikes on him. 

From what I've read not often.

I know he was running into a lot of deep counts in the minors last year, just like he is in the majors this year.

It's almost as if he's collecting data.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

And we're likely getting a Chris Owings sighting tonight with Robbie Ray a southpaw getting the start. It worked out Monday against LHP Rich Hill....well except for McKenna and Owings not doing anything against a supposedly favorable pitching matchup. 

Certainly possible. Odor for what’s it’s worth has been better vs LHP than RHP. Maybe no Owings? 

Mullins sat Monday. I think it will be about whether Santander starts or not. If he starts then no McKenna. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

From what I've read not often.

I know he was running into a lot of deep counts in the minors last year, just like he is in the majors this year.

It's almost as if he's collecting data.

He has had some real good at bats fouling pitches off with 2 strikes. Just doesn’t feel like so far he has had a ton of 2-0, 3-1 counts.