Wieters’ advice to Rutschman

Frobby

This sort of let's me know why teammates love Odor.  The guy's talent is diminished, but there's never a question he's giving 110% and all in on trying to win.  He's sort of the anti-Davis, the guy who did want to play the "extra 4 years" and collect 4 extra years of paychecks.

I know all of us want to cheer for a winning team, but if we can't have that, we want a team going all out to win, and the 2022 O's are putting everything they have into every game.

• Upvote 4

Matt Wieters is sometimes underappreciated by the fan base here...he had some unreasonable expectations from day 1. He was absolutely pivotal to the team turning around. We'll be fortunate if Adley is similar defensively and maybe a smidge better offensively.

Anyhow, good sounding advice from MW.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He said he would/might have played longer if he had done things differently and might have had better numbers BUT he wouldn't change a thing.

I assume he's implying that he was overused.

Like maybe not pull double duty as the closer on his college team?

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

He said he would/might have played longer if he had done things differently and might have had better numbers BUT he wouldn't change a thing.

I assume he's implying that he was overused.

I’d say he’s saying that he wanted  to carry a heavy workload to help his team even though it shortened his career.   

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Like maybe not pull double duty as the closer on his college team?

When you're 6'5" 230 pounds and spend years crouching down for hours at a time that wears your body down. Hell, that's hard to do at 5'10" 160. Let alone a massive man such as Wieters.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right?

But I think his elbow surgery did as much to shorten his career as anything else.

You think it affected his hitting?

If the surgery affected his throwing the stats don't back it up. Matt Wieters offensive numbers began to diminish.  After years of making 10M, he only made 2M his last year. He could have hung on for a few more years probably but he most likely didn't think it made sense for him.  His diminished offense likely had nothing to do with being a closer in college.

• Upvote 1