Tonight (Friday)'s game exclusively on Apple TV

SteveA

5 hours ago, PHRESH said:

I actually used to switch to the radio audio while watching kinda frequently (via mlbtv app). I used to love listening to Bugel and Manfra over some of the TV crew. 

Tonight would have a good time for that option. 

I miss Manfra. Especially how he dealt with the losing years.

• Upvote 1

I sat down to watch a replay of the game the next morning (having avoided the score), but after a couple innings I couldn’t take it and just watched the highlights instead. The 1080p picture quality was great, but the constant betting odds on-screen (“chance to strike out: 29%”… riveting), the Zip Recruiter logo digitally imposed on the pitching mound, and Melanie’s nonstop verbal torrent really put me off. I’m sure that’s the future (or present) of sports broadcasts but I resented being forced to watch it that way.

• Upvote 2

I had AppleTV+ alteady so I was able to watch Os in real time for the first time in awhile. I am in a blackout zone and MASN not on cable. I have a vacation house in Myrtle so I can watch it in real time there on MLB.TV  when down there but not here in swVa. Usually though I have had to go back to my childhood transistor radio days and just listen to the audio call.  Back then there was a game on TV maybe once a week, I can watch the replay 90 minute delay on MLB TV 

I’m not sure if Melanie will ever be good but I think right now her issue is she’s just late on everything. Every time someone hits the ball she will say their name as they make contact, there’s no need for that. Hays crushed that ball and the whole flight of it all she got out was “Austin Hays—“

I actually enjoyed the odds that were presented after each pitch.  To me, it highlights the importance of each pitch of each at bat, and how a bad call or a failure of a pitcher to hit their spot by even a few inches can drastically change expected outcomes.  

Concerned about Bradish, he’s got good stuff but getting hit pretty hard at the moment.  Kind of reminiscent of Gausman (although Kevin had better raw stuff).  He’s got to improve his control, and his body language out on the mound was poor.  Hopefully he can regain some confidence next start. 

11 hours ago, dtk9119 said:

Yup this was one of them. Santander's single that JBJ played on short hop in 9th was also dreadful. 

Based on Melanie's call of that single, I had no idea that the ball wasn't caught.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Emory Eagle said:

I actually enjoyed the odds that were presented after each pitch.  To me, it highlights the importance of each pitch of each at bat, and how a bad call or a failure of a pitcher to hit their spot by even a few inches can drastically change expected outcomes.  

Concerned about Bradish, he’s got good stuff but getting hit pretty hard at the moment.  Kind of reminiscent of Gausman (although Kevin had better raw stuff).  He’s got to improve his control, and his body language out on the mound was poor.  Hopefully he can regain some confidence next start. 

He’s a 2 pitch pitcher right now and the fastball command is inconsistent.

26 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

Based on Melanie's call of that single, I had no idea that the ball wasn't caught.

It was definitely hard to decipher "And there's nothing here...Cedric Mullins comes home!" as the ball was thrown by Bradley in to the infield. For a moment I thought Mullins had been mistaken and was about to get doubled off of third. There was no way to know what was going on either visually (mixer had appropriately switched to a wide-angle cam) or verbally (Newman's discombobulation):

<https://www.mlb.com/gameday/orioles-vs-red-sox/2022/05/27/663276#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=videos,game=663276>

1 hour ago, Emory Eagle said:

He blushes noticeably when in a tough situation. But the four consecutive K's to end the first inning and start the second--after a too-brief rest in the dugout as the O's went down on just 9 pitches--showed some real determination and maturity.

4 hours ago, survivedc said:

I’m not sure if Melanie will ever be good but I think right now her issue is she’s just late on everything. Every time someone hits the ball she will say their name as they make contact, there’s no need for that. Hays crushed that ball and the whole flight of it all she got out was “Austin Hays—“

This and the ability to go a minimum of 50-60 words without a pause for breath or observation of what's going on in the game--a total lack of respect for the rhythm of listening to a ballgame--are, to me at least, her most aggravating traits as an announcer. Jim Hunter was annoying but (a) he did pause and breathe regularly and (b) listeners' angst could be channeled through Palmer's acerbic responses.