Sunday afternoon in Fenway Park

SteveA

6 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

I don't recall a lot of people clamoring for this.  At least not recently.

Right--I think that was suggested a lot more in previous seasons, not this. There was also more talk then about using openers instead of true starting horses.

15 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Lost opp. Was it at least well struck? Good pitch to go after?

Pitch was up in the zone, bit on the outside half.  Good pitch to go after, but you have to question the wisdom of swinging at the first pitch when Pivetta had walked the last 2. 

Oppo line drive, I had XBH hopes the second it was hit but as soon as the camera switches to the RF not having to move to catch it those hopes were dashed.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Not really.  He was good in his first 3 starts and had a 4.96 ERA / 5.17 FIP since (coming into today so those numbers are even worse now).

Let's dig deeper for some optimism. His ERA through the first seven starts was a fine 2.72. Then he had his already 3rd and 4th starts of the young season (out of nine total) against the Yankees. Even then, he gave up just one walk/13 hits in 11.33 innings; all five Yankee homers were solo shots. He's given us 5 innings twice and 6 or more three times in the last five starts. Today may well turn out to be his worst start, but I think it's way too early to expect a regression to last year.

The good news is that the pace of the game is much faster today than if they had fireworks after every HR. They would have had to pause to allow the fireworks guy to reload a couple of times already. 

An old joke, but fits today's derby.