Maverick Handley 2022

Frobby

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I noticed that he didn’t play for 5-6 days before last night.   He’s only played in 27 of Bowie’s 50 games, so one good game at the plate can move his OPS by a lot.  

I think he was taken out mid-game about 5-6 games ago so probably a hit by pitch (I don't think that was it).  Probably took a foul tip off his arm/hand or something.    I'm hoping he hot streak isn't a hot streak.  They usually are but this is starting to feel like something more.   Haha.   RZNJ, the orange and black pom pom waiver!!! 

Was just talking about Handley on Twitter.  

When you are crying poor me, being cash poor, etc..like Angelos is, to me it is imperative that you at least the last 10 guys on your roster making little to no money.  

I think this is just good roster management no matter your finances but it makes even more sense for the Os and teams like them.

Handley is a guy who should be the back up C next year.  By all accounts the defense is ML ready and the bat appears to be good enough.  

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

When you are crying poor me, being cash poor, etc..like Angelos is, to me it is imperative that you at least the last 10 guys on your roster making little to no money.  

I think this is just good roster management no matter your finances but it makes even more sense for the Os and teams like them.

Handley is a guy who should be the back up C next year.  By all accounts the defense is ML ready and the bat appears to be good enough.  

In general, agreed.  Back-up C should be one of the cheapest positions on the team.

But to put it in context:  Chirinos is only making $900k this year.  League minimum is $700k ($720k in 2023).  Is $180-200k the value of a veteran C for the pitching staff?  Maybe/maybe not.  Either way it's not really impacting whether we can sign a legit FA or not.

1 minute ago, btdart20 said:

In general, agreed.  Back-up C should be one of the cheapest positions on the team.

But to put it in context:  Chirinos is only making $900k this year.  League minimum is $700k ($720k in 2023).  Is $180-200k the value of a veteran C for the pitching staff?  Maybe/maybe not.  Either way it's not really impacting whether we can sign a legit FA or not.

No, that money is no big deal and I do agree that the league minimum being higher is a factor.   

Now, that being said, most competent vet back Up C probably do get into the low 7 figures.  

And, of course, ownership may cherish that few hundred K.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Would you take him over Cumberland?

7 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I honestly don’t know enough about Cumberland to say with 100% certainty but based on what I have heard about Handley, he sounds like a guy who will catch in the majors for 10-15 years.  So based on that info, yea I take him over Cumberland.

Handley is currently at AA. The way Elias does things he will need to spend some time at AAA.  Whether that happens this season or not is a question but I would not count on it.   

If he does not make AAA this season I don't think he will start next season in the Majors.

However if the O's don't want him exposed to the the Rule 5 draft they will have to put him on the 40 man roster to protect him this fall.

Just now, wildcard said:

Handley is currently at AA. The way Elias does things he will need to spend some time at AAA.  Whether that happens this season or not is a question but I would not count on it.   

If he does not make AAA this season I don't think he will start next season in the Majors.

However if the O's don't want him exposed to the the Rule 5 draft they will have to put him on the 40 man roster to protect him this fall.

Elias has promoted non-prospects types that have not dominated at every level.

If Handley is simply viewed as a backup backstop I could see him making the team out of camp in 2023 even if doesn't spend time at Norfolk.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Elias has promoted non-prospects types that have not dominated at every level.

If Handley is simply viewed as a backup backstop I could see him making the team out of camp in 2023 even if doesn't spend time at Norfolk.

I disagree.

59 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If his defense is as advertised and his OPS is good enough, they will protect him.  He’s a prime guy to be selected if he continues to show more promise with the bat.

Agreed. Glove first backup catchers are prime Rule 5 candidates.

2 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Handley is a plus defender behind the plate, Cumberland is a AAA catcher at best. 

If Handley can hit .200 at the major league level he'll have value as a backup.

• Upvote 2

Minorleaguebaseball has him 5-9, 190.

Just scanning the five starters in division*, Christian Vazquez is smallest at 5-9, 205.   The one time I saw the Baysox this year was my first time seeing Handley in real life and the first impression was how is this 11th grader playing pro ball.    I imagine he's a bit of an acrobat back there, but he does seem small for today's game (B-Ref has Yogi Berra 5-7, 185, so there is that.)

*I did Danny Jansen instead of Alejandro Kirk for Toronto, because c'mon.    Possibly coming soon Gabriel Moreno is listed 5'11", 195.