Dean Kremer 2022

Spy Fox

He's a fun pitcher to watch. Seems to mix his pitchers and set up hitters better than most of the young SPs on the staff. In some ways he is rather old school. He works up and down as well as in and out. He moves the ball around the strike zone. I feel like the difference this year is he has both control and command of his pitches. If he stays healthy he's a very solid SP piece to a very solid rotation. 

• Upvote 1

He’s very much a mixed bag of results.

The BB rate and HR rates are very good.

His statcast numbers are a mix of good and bad.   He doesn’t get hit hard but he also doesn’t get Ks or miss bats.

His FIP is solid but his xERA is high.  His fastball lacks the high end velocity but it has a high spin rate that is well above average.

I can’t say that I would enter the year excited to rely on him but I also think it’s foolish to not give him a rotation spot. 

He is similar to Tate in that his success this year has been all about throwing a lot more strikes.  That has been huge for both of those guys but it also makes me question their viability next year.  If the str% for Kremer goes from over 66% to just league average, how much does that hurt him?  

At least with Tate, he saw his str% rise last year and then really jump this year.  Maybe that’s just an indication that he is maturing and getting better.  But Kremer has come out of nowhere with that.  

So who knows.  There are so many guys like this heading into this offseason.  Who do you trust, who do you not trust?  Who do you trade?  Who do you keep?  

30 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s very much a mixed bag of results.

The BB rate and HR rates are very good.

His statcast numbers are a mix of good and bad.   He doesn’t get hit hard but he also doesn’t get Ks or miss bats.

His FIP is solid but his xERA is high.  His fastball lacks the high end velocity but it has a high spin rate that is well above average.

I can’t say that I would enter the year excited to rely on him but I also think it’s foolish to not give him a rotation spot. 

He is similar to Tate in that his success this year has been all about throwing a lot more strikes.  That has been huge for both of those guys but it also makes me question their viability next year.  If the str% for Kremer goes from over 66% to just league average, how much does that hurt him?  

At least with Tate, he saw his str% rise last year and then really jump this year.  Maybe that’s just an indication that he is maturing and getting better.  But Kremer has come out of nowhere with that.  

So who knows.  There are so many guys like this heading into this offseason.  Who do you trust, who do you not trust?  Who do you trade?  Who do you keep?  

To me, he looks like a #5 starter on a legit playoff/WS contender. Best case #4. But I am not a stat guy, I’m an eye test guy, which I recognize can be flawed. So we have in my opinion the following that currently are in play for next year:

Grayson: #2 starter type

Bradish: #3 starter type

Kremer: #5 starter type

Wells: #5 starter type (maybe 4)

Means (eventually): #3 starter type

Voth/Watkins: bullpen guys, backup starters 

So to me, it is pretty clear what the target should be in the off-season. But that is easier said then done.

Edited by IPlayGM
Words are hard

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He said something last night in the postgame interview... what was it?  I think he used the phrase "we were contemplating" some strategy.  Not a typical cliche you'd hear from most guys.

Another thing I like about his interviews is that he frequently won’t play along with the premise of reporters’ stupid questions.    “How important was this win?”   The answer they want is “real important.”   He’ll say something like “every win is important, whether it’s April or September.”

As an aside, I hate reporter questions that start with phrases like “how important was…”.   They’re leading, assume the answer, and don’t elicit answers with any actual information.  Yet, if you watch the pressers, there are at least 2 or 3 every time.  

28 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

To me, he looks like a #5 starter on a legit playoff/WS contender. Best case #4. But I am not a stat guy, I’m an eye test guy, which I recognize can be flawed. So we have in my opinion the following that currently are in play for next year:

So to me, it is pretty clear what the target should be in the off-season. But that is easier said then done.

This stuff always cracks me up.  In reality they’re pitching like…

Bradish #2(since demotion)

Kremer #3

Voth #4

Lyles #4

Watkins #5

This doesn’t mean what they are for their careers or that this is the new norm. It’s just the reality of this season. Crazy, I know. 

21 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This stuff always cracks me up.  In reality they’re pitching like…

Bradish #2(since demotion)

Kremer #3

Voth #4

Lyles #4

Watkins #5

This doesn’t mean what they are for their careers or that this is the new norm. It’s just the reality of this season. Crazy, I know. 

I agree with your numbers for this year, my numbers were just my thoughts more long term.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Another thing I like about his interviews is that he frequently won’t play along with the premise of reporters’ stupid questions.    “How important was this win?”   The answer they want is “real important.”   He’ll say something like “every win is important, whether it’s April or September.”

As an aside, I hate reporter questions that start with phrases like “how important was…”.   They’re leading, assume the answer, and don’t elicit answers with any actual information.  Yet, if you watch the pressers, there are at least 2 or 3 every time.  

Reporters' leading Q's were one thing that Showalter was very skillful, sometimes comically so, at derailing.

2 hours ago, LA2 said:

I have noticed in several threads that Voth doesn't seem to get enough cred. I wonder why: judgement of his pitch repertoire, more granular stats that belie what his general ones imply?

He seems to lose effectiveness a bit earlier than Bradish and Kremer.   I think he’s been well-utilized by Hyde and his development has been a very good story.  

7 hours ago, IPlayGM said:

Wow, tough crowd. 

• Upvote 1