Angelos Family Fued

Going Underground

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

SG, I think it's hilarious that you think you're bringing something to light that we already know. :) 

Yeah, I don't there is anyone who has looked at the Angelos family in good light in a long, long time. All this lawsuit has done is taken the veil off this infighting ultra rich family.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Well we haven't heard John Angelos' side of this yet. We know he has interests elsewhere and the Orioles have not spent much outside of Jordan Lyles, the DR facility, and all of their Amateur draft funds.

According to the lawsuit, John nixed the sale of the team, so if he really just wanted an out and cash in that would have been a good opportunity. 

As for how the team has been rebuilt, I'm not saying Elias has been right how he's done the rebuild, but I don't necessarily know if he would have done things differently if he more cash on hand. He seemed to be all in on the Houston model of breaking it all down, collecting good draft picks, then rebuilding. 

It's taken him a lot longer already to get the team back to decent shape and his 1st round picks have not exactly shown to be amazing at the major league league level yet despite drafting college heavy.

I'm not saying your wrong here, just saying that I don't have enough information to draw firm conclusions.

That's because the inheritance taxes would still take a lot away even if they had it worked out to lessen the hit.

And no, maybe Elias would continue to have the team suck.  I tend to doubt it though.  He has already rebuilt the organization.  The farm system is/has already been #1. He has another top pick and lots of pool money.

This year wasn't a year he needed to continue with it.  This is all John.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Tony - you know full well that MLB would also never approve the Orioles leaving the city using crime/corruption as a reason because of politics. 

Nashville will either get an expansion team or the Rays (with A's going to Vegas if they move). MLB has no baseball-related justification to move the team given the team's history and stadium, and politics/optics will be another reason the team stays.

I agree. It's extremely doubtful MLB would approve a move regardless of the state of the city and attendance. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

SG, I think it's hilarious that you think you're bringing something to light that we already know. :) 

I responded to an earlier post when somebody said "I've been telling ya'll since 2006."  

LOL.  Really?  Cause I've known Angelos was a garbage owner about five years before that.

There isn't a soul on this board who has defended the Angelos' stewardship of this franchise, and hasn't been for about two decades.

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I responded to an earlier post when somebody said "I've been telling ya'll since 2006."  

LOL.  Really?  Cause I've known Angelos was a garbage owner about five years before that.

There isn't a soul on this board who has defended the Angelos' stewardship of this franchise, and hasn't been for about two decades.

Eh.

You had some folks get all excited when the sons took over and hired Elias.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Eh.

You had some folks get all excited when the sons took over and hired Elias.

Well Elias was a good hire.  And the sons are preferable to the father in the sense that the devil you don't know is better than the devil you do know that is an actual devil.

But if you can find me somebody celebrating the Angelos' reign in this millennium I'll gladly mock him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Funny.  If John cares about the show, he should understand that winning is a good show and a good atmosphere.

I hate the Angelos family.  You hate the Angelos family.  Everyone on this board hates the Angelos family.

Does that mean that MLB hates the Angelos family, too?  I'd like to believe that to be true but I don't know where that evidence is.

Well, I mean MLB can't like the Angelos family that much if they allowed the Walgreens Nationals to siphon off a large portion of the Orioles fanbase. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You don't hold grudges, right? 😆

lol... I do when you when you publicly denounce an Oriole legend in the one area where everyone he agreed he was the best at. But I don't want to derail this thread. 

Honestly though, it's more about how I see the Ironbirds run. I took my Autistic son there last year for his birthday and I was shocked at how poorly the place was run. No staff, only like two things open to get something to eat, no dessrts available anywhere. It was awful. 

But the main thing is the optics of not having an announcer on there MiLB broadcasts. It's absolutely embarrassing to have an Orioles affiliate to not even bring in a local kid in college and give him or her a chance. I'm sure they would do it for pennies just to get the experience. When I watch other teams in the same league have dual announcers with center field cameras and major league baseball like production, you realize how much Cal as owner doesn't care how his team looks. He cares about the bottom line I'm sure.

That's not someone I'd want as part of a local ownership group. I want someone to come in and say we're going to be first class in everything we do from treating are employees to the fan experience. Including competing for the top talent to make the team a winner again.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Yep, facts don't care about your Baltimore feelings. :D

I mean, its possible Nashville has more crime in terms of robberies, etc...because of the amount of tourists and stuff like that.

But I mean, come on.  That isn't stopping anyone from going to visit a city.  Its the violent crime that is the problem and its not even close.

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That's because the inheritance taxes would still take a lot away even if they had it worked out to lessen the hit.

And no, maybe Elias would continue to have the team suck.  I tend to doubt it though.  He has already rebuilt the organization.  The farm system is/has already been #1. He has another top pick and lots of pool money.

This year wasn't a year he needed to continue with it.  This is all John.

Perhaps. I'm certainly not on anyone's side here. Would Elias had spent more money this offseason on starting pitching if he had the funds? Perhaps. It's hard to really know but Elias has created an environment where the only information that gets out comes from his corporate ready, fan digestible dialog. 

In the past, I can tell you that I've never heard many good things about either brother. I've talked with John a bit at an event once and he was cordial enough, but certainly guarded. 

At the end of the day, the Angelos family needs to be out as the controlling owners of this franchise for it ever to be a 1st class organization once again.

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

lol... I do when you when you publicly denounce an Oriole legend in the one area where everyone he agreed he was the best at. But I don't want to derail this thread. 

Honestly though, it's more about how I see the Ironbirds run. I took my Autistic son there last year for his birthday and I was shocked at how poorly the place was run. No staff, only like two things open to get something to eat, no dessrts available anywhere. It was awful. 

But the main thing is the optics of not having an announcer on there MiLB broadcasts. It's absolutely embarrassing to have an Orioles affiliate to not even bring in a local kid in college and give him or her a chance. I'm sure they would do it for pennies just to get the experience. When I watch other teams in the same league have dual announcers with center field cameras and major league baseball like production, you realize how much Cal as owner doesn't care how his team looks. He cares about the bottom line I'm sure.

That's not someone I'd want as part of a local ownership group. I want someone to come in and say we're going to be first class in everything we do from treating are employees to the fan experience. Including competing for the top talent to make the team a winner again.

I believe the absolute best case scenario for an O's fan, and I'm not sure how feasible it is, would be a Bisciotti purchase of the team.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Some old time Angelos friends are trying to get the brothers together to come to some type of arrangement before it gets ugly. They want Lou to withdraw the  lawsuit.

Fingers crossed.   The one thing the Sun story 2 hours later than the Banner story I saw last night was a quote from an older colleague about how unfortunate this was.    It isn't hard to imagine active Peter contemporaries trying to broker a peace here.

On the unavoidable morbid angle, and baseball being a lifelong probability lesson, I've long felt Adley and the current nucleus' club control years will extend beyond Peter's lifespan, and new owners sometimes have honeymoon periods with their new toys, which would be quite nice for these mid and late decade teams.    I feel the big money bidders courtship of Ripken Baseball as a minority partner is going to be as hot as Jasson Dominguez's, and not sure I'd generally project Cal's current bare bones operations to project forward were he to get into a Jeteresque spokesperson role.

• Upvote 1