Angelos Family Fued

Going Underground

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Let's put it this way: It's going to get worse.

If ya'll think it's bad now, wait.  You ain't seen nothing yet.

Yep.  They may be able to revitalize things down the road but businesses are leaving and will continue to do so.  The cops aren't allowed to fight crime and the corruption is terrible.  Its nothing but sh!t running downhill and that isn't going to change or get better anytime soon.

• Upvote 1

Just now, foxfield said:

Interesting, that Cohen originally wanted to go to Nashville but made it as far south as the NY Folk scene.  And by Nelson, I assume you mean Willie?

Sure, Willie Nelson, Leonard Cohen, Jacques Brel and Bob Dylan.

I guess I should have tossed a female in there but I just went off the top of my head.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Huh?

Let's say this one guy, this Sturgill, is a great songwriter, a Nelson, a Cohen, Brel, a Dylan.

How would the existence of this one man invalidate the concept that "sucky songwriting is the standard"?

That fancy like applebees song exists.

I didn't say it did, I just said he disagrees. 

Because I think he probably disagrees.

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

Certainly not disparaging Mr. Bisciotti, as his record speaks for itself and he should be congratulated as such.

But it's clearly apples & oranges comparing MLB to the NFL. 

Sure the NFL and MLB are different.

But the guy made himself a billionaire working in personnel.

I think he'd figure it out.

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

While you have the ol' crystal ball out, can you let us know about the results of the 2024 bowl games?

I preface by saying this isn't a political statement (and of course that means it is lol):

This country is facing some very hard economic times coming up.  It's going to be bad and it's going to last a long time.  And it's only going to exasperate all of the social ills now we think are out of control.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep.  They may be able to revitalize things down the road but businesses are leaving and will continue to do so.  The cops aren't allowed to fight crime and the corruption is terrible.  Its nothing but sh!t running downhill and that isn't going to change or get better anytime soon.

I guess me and you are that consensus I keep hearing about.  

When we're in agreement, you can be pretty sure people with very different perspectives are seeing the same things the same way.

And I thought this was going to be another boring season! Following this saga and related discussion on this board may be more interesting than following the baseball saga. Whether we like or agree with the people working for the Orioles, can you imagine how they must feel with this going on? Got to be great for morale. I don't expect any of them to say anything on record nor should they.

For the record, I don't give a d--- about this ownership. Ownership has never been what I have rooted for going back to 1954. Against maybe but not for. Today, I feel for all those caught up in this soap opera. If this drags, in my opinion, a bad situation is going to get worse. And, in my opinion this may speed up a sale but this can't be a good way to sell a team. Talk about "selling low?"

Just now, Pickles said:

I guess me and you are that consensus I keep hearing about.  

When we're in agreement, you can be pretty sure people with very different perspectives are seeing the same things the same way.

The thing is, its not just Baltimore.  Its all cities.  The American inner city is dying in a lot of ways.  The crime, politics, corruption, etc...are pushing more and more people away from the cities and rightfully so.

I just sold my house and I live in a very nice neighborhood in a good area of Balt County.  But even out here, we are seeing the crime spill over from the city.  Schools are getting worse.  Its just time to get away and go further out.  It sucks but its the reality, especially if you have kids.

• Upvote 2

If people really think the Os definitely won't spend money and that this rebuild is really a "rebuild" that exists to have an excuse to not spend money, then why go through the trouble of hiring a qualified brain trust like Elias and Sig, who have made other good hires like Koby and Eve? Why so much effort retooling and consolidating the organizational philosophy? I get that the Dominican academy isn't a huge expense, but then why do it at all?

I'm not saying the Angeloses aren't problematic - it's clear that they are, and the benefit of the doubt I had been giving John Angelos is kind of out the window at this point.

But - I just don't know why he would put such a strong baseball ops team in place and not follow through on the eventual end game. He could have easily hired some has been to not spend. 

7 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I preface by saying this isn't a political statement (and of course that means it is lol):

This country is facing some very hard economic times coming up.  It's going to be bad and it's going to last a long time.  And it's only going to exasperate all of the social ills now we think are out of control.

I won't really comment except to say that we don't know. 

I just know that no matter the situation there will always be those who assume it will get much worse, and soon.  In the middle of the Orioles' 47-win season there were a number of posters were quite sure they'd win 30 or 40 games.  The next year many predicted they'd be much worse than the year prior. 

So... we'll see.

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

If people really think the Os definitely won't spend money and that this rebuild is really a "rebuild" that exists to have an excuse to not spend money, then why go through the trouble of hiring a qualified brain trust like Elias and Sig, who have made other good hires like Koby and Eve? Why so much effort retooling and consolidating the organizational philosophy? I get that the Dominican academy isn't a huge expense, but then why do it at all?

I'm not saying the Angeloses aren't problematic - it's clear that they are, and the benefit of the doubt I had been giving John Angelos is kind of out the window at this point.

But - I just don't know why he would put such a strong baseball ops team in place and not follow through on the eventual end game. He could have easily hired some has been to not spend. 

Because those things in place do help with the value of the franchise and it’s a cheap way of doing it.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

The thing is, its not just Baltimore.  Its all cities.  The American inner city is dying in a lot of ways.  The crime, politics, corruption, etc...are pushing more and more people away from the cities and rightfully so.

I just sold my house and I live in a very nice neighborhood in a good area of Balt County.  But even out here, we are seeing the crime spill over from the city.  Schools are getting worse.  Its just time to get away and go further out.  It sucks but its the reality, especially if you have kids.

Oh, I agree.  When I was speaking about the economic whirlwind coming, it's coming for us all.  It's just places like Baltimore are going to be hurt the most.  If you think it's dystopian now, just wait.