Heston Kjerstad 2022

joelala

It would be very You Can't Predict Baseball for Kjerstad to lead the future Orioles in WAR, so that's probably what will happen.

He happened to be in a Statcast park last night, so the hack with game 715216 worked, one hard hit ball in his 0-for-4.   Nick Richmond got an inning, and looks like he was about 80% sinker-slider by Savant's classification.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/gamefeed?date=10/18/2022&gamePk=715216&chartType=pitch&legendType=pitchName&playerType=pitcher&inning=&count=&pitchHand=&batSide=&descFilter=&ptFilter=&resultFilter=&hf=exitVelocity#715216

• Upvote 1

Yea, I don’t think we can get excited about Kjerstad’s stats no matter what Law said.

All that matters is that he is playing. And when he’s done, he can have a normal offseason of training and then enter next year hopefully with his body and mind back to normal.

Then we see what we have.

• Upvote 1

I'm a huge believer in use of the offseason to hyper-focus on 1-2 primary deficiencies.

My question for Kjerstad isn't whether he's good enough now. It's whether he can make the changes necessary to regain what he needs to hit at higher levels. I'd wager the O's are as good as just about any group at identifying what he needs to change and building a program to do so. 

Kjerstad ended up playing a bunch this year and had decent success. I'd say that's a great season for him. Now it's time to hit the gym and the drills and come back next year ready to take on Bowie.

• Upvote 2

I had posted about Kjerstad "only" being 27th in the league in OPS after the first week or so, and just crediting as he has climbed to 10th as of today.    As always with AFL numbers, everyone's look good on the surface so mostly what I look for is is a guy outplaying the other guys?

The 17/3 K/BB in 62 PA really does stand out in a bad way.    The AFL pitchers do not post MLB like ratios.

The 2022 AFL K/BB ratio is about 1.6 for all Bats (846/519) as generally top Bat prospects see less talented Arms.    The 2022 MLB K/BB ratio was about 2.75 (40812/14853).

Kjerstad Month1 at Bowie if he gets it will start kind of like Stowers this year.    Question 1, are you striking out 35%+ or not?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Well, he's playing with guys who have some AA experience like Prieto and Austin Martin and he certainly isn't taking a back seat to anyone.   

Right.  It’s a hitter’s league, but he’s performing well relative to his peers.  Also, though he’s still struck out a lot, I’m pretty sure the K’s have dropped off in the last week or so.   I’ll see if I can verify that.  

Edit: 13 K’s in his first 44 PA, 5 in his last 22.   Not really a big enough sample to draw any big conclusions about improvement in that regard.   

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 3

Since he has to go on the 40-man at the end of next season, I do wonder if it would be worthwhile for the Orioles to petition for a 4th option year given his lost time. I know some teams have been successful in doing that in the past when dealing with players who have had extensive health issues. That being said, he'll be 24 before the season starts so if you're still needing to option him at age 29 it might be moot anyways. 

Last I checked he also had the most AB's and games played of anyone else in AFL. 

Edit: He has the most AB's and for the players near him he has the better OPS by pretty good margin. He's got nearly double the AB's of the guys ahead of him in OPS.

Edited by byrdz
  • Upvote 1