Friday, June 17: early start time as Rays and Flo Rida come to town

SteveA

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

1- Protection isn't much of a thing.

2- You don't want your best hitter hitting third.  Of course you also don't want him hitting fifth.

3- It mostly doesn't make a difference.

I was hoping you were here because they're having Flo Rida in the booth. I know you're a big fan, Corn. Listening to Flo Rida while rowing? 😂

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd bat him second or fourth before third or fifth.

The evolution of batting order philosophy is interesting.  Years ago, and for a long time,  you  wanted a leadoff hitter with a high OBP and a lot of speed.  The second guy was usually a guy that had good bat control and could bunt well.  Your #3 hitter was the best hitter on the team  - best BA with power.  #4 & #5 were usually your power hitters - high RBI guys (usually came with high K rates). The rest of the order just filled in by order of hitting ability.  Usually, the #9 guy was a speedster, too (at least in the AL).

Things have changed. 

1 minute ago, Yossarian said:

The evolution of batting order philosophy is interesting.  Years ago, and for a long time,  you  wanted a leadoff hitter with a high OBP and a lot of speed.  The second guy was usually a guy that had good bat control and could bunt well.  Your #3 hitter was the best hitter on the team  - best BA with power.  #4 & #5 were usually your power hitters - high RBI guys (usually came with high K rates). The rest of the order just filled in by order of hitting ability.  Usually, the #9 guy was a speedster, too (at least in the AL).

Things have changed. 

Yep