Minor League Pitch Clock

emmett16

Apologize if this is in the wrong place.  Tried to search for a similar thread but didn't come across any ongoing threads discussing the Minor League pitch clock.  I believe people have pointed out that SBs are up throughout MiLB and speculated it was due to the pitch clock rules.  It's very hard to tell what's going on by watching on TV, but when you watch live you see that all players are being coached to take off as soon as the clock gets down to one second.  I tell you what, I absolutely love it.   I've been to a few Tides games this year and hadn't really picked up on it earlier in the season, and again, it's hard to tell what's going on while watching on TV.   It adds so much more excitement and new ways to be entertained by these talented athletes.  Today Westburg took advantage of the clock while on second base...with no outs....and Henderson at bat!  They know if they get the extra .5 to 1 second you will be safe every time.  Nottingham (the huge slow catcher) took advantage of it with 2 outs on first.  I don't think anyone in the stadium had a clue what was going on when he took off, took the P by surprise, and caused the P to balk.  I know some people are purists and I sure as heck used to be, but I'm all about making the game more exciting and attractive to a new &  younger audience.  Not only does it speed up the game significantly, but it gives non base stealers a chance to impact the game on the basepaths, keeps the pitcher and defense on their toes, and adds a whole new element to the game that is exciting and entertaining.  They will need to start to put the pitch clock on the TV broadcasts so that the fans at home can watch this aspect of the game.  I believe this is a great way, albeit very different, to make the game more fun for the younger crowd and also to attract more athletes to play baseball.  My two cents, I'm sure there are other opinions out there.  Would be curious to see what everyone else thinks.  

13 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I like it too.  Plus it’s helping shave almost 30 minutes of fluff time off a game (for what that’s worth to some).

A 2hr and 30minute baseball game is a thing of beauty.  It's not just the extra 30 minutes, but the defense stays in the game more behind the pitcher as they know the ball is coming quickly.  It's been said a million times that pitchers who work fast and throw strikes keep their D in the game, and that's becoming the norm with the new rule.  And, I just love the idea that all 9 batters in the lineup can make an impact on the bases.  It creates excitement in the game that would not be there otherwise.  Imagine the stress an excitement in a tight playoff game with runners on base late in the game.  

I'm uncertain on the Baserunners Gone Wild aspects but a benefit I'm hopeful for is it rebalancing Arms-Bats some.

When Pedro Baez or whatever hot reliever it is has a Driveline-rooted 45 second analysis of each windup and to the millimeter orientation of the seams as he spins the ball between each pitch in training, and then runs that mental checklist between every pitch in October, that's a pace killer.     Or on June 19 the Orioles leverage Voth-Baker-Baumann because "Jordan Lyles has a stomach virus".

A pitch clock is part for me along with roster rules to helping build back individual pitcher importance.

Baseball wants Grayson Rodriguez to have to try to do the Madison Bumgarner things if he can, but today I'm not sure if Elias-Sig-Blood haven't concluded the Pitcher 14's 15 pitches are more valuable than Grayson 80-99 any given inning, whether June or October.

• 2 months later...

I went to a Baysox game last week and enjoyed the faster pace of play.  I think major leaguers would have no trouble adjusting.  

As to impact on the running game, a quick look at the Eastern League shows that stolen bases are up to .93 from last year’s .75, and success rate is 77% compared to 72% last year.   

• Upvote 1