20-15 since May 19th

Tony-OH

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Wouldn’t Hyde get the credit for putting the RPs in their roles and picking their spots?

See, this is where we really don't know how decisions are made. Hyde and Elias have bee very consistent calling decisions like this a collaborative decision. 

I would hope that in game decision are made after pre-game discussion on availability, situations and matchups and are done by finalized by Hyde. 

Honestly, I don't know how it works and lots of managers now are just slaves to the what the computers spit out.

Look at Cash in Tampa. he may have cost his team a WS because he pulled a perfectly good starting pitcher because the computers said it was the percentage move.  

I'm not against the computer systems and certainly not against using stats and matchups for your decisions, but I also believe in managers' intuition to override the information sometimes. 

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

You meant Mayo instead of Baumler as a possible Mountcastle replacement. Either way, I doubt the Orioles are going to keep an older more expensive player in Mancini over Mountcastle. Saying that, Mancini is not really going to be that expensive next year as they have a mutual option that they could both decide to enact. I'm not so sure Mancini needs to be traded. 

As for Mountcastle, he's cost controlled and productive most of the season. Now, would I trade him if for a similarly aged, experienced and good starting pitcher? Probably. 

Mancini could go back to first and it would open up a spot for Rutschman to DH when he's not catching. Also, Rutschman played a decent amount of first base in the minors last year and was pretty good. He could also play there when not catching.

Yes, I meant Mayo. And of course it would have to be the right trade. I like RM’s bat, but I’m not tied to him like I am with some of the other guys coming up. My point is Mancini has limited value in trade. Whereas RM could get them a nice piece, like a pitcher in the example you made.

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Yes, I meant Mayo. And of course it would have to be the right trade. I like RM’s bat, but I’m not tired to him like I am with some of the other guys coming up. My point is Mancini has limited value in trade. Whereas RM could get them a nice piece, like a pitcher in the example you made.

You could probably get multiple nice pieces for Adley.  Let's trade him.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Young, cost controlled talent.

We should be accumulating it.

Agreed, but RM plays 1B, positionally it’s not that valuable and he’s average at best. He’s one dimensional. He may get better over there, but I wouldn’t count on it. Would you really be against a similarly aged pitcher, also cost controlled in trade? It fits your criteria, right?

Maybe it isn’t available but I’d be willing to do that. And, as stated, that trade brings back much more than would Mancini. 

Didn’t realize RM is off limits for you. 

Just now, Il BuonO said:

Agreed, but RM plays 1B, positionally it’s not that valuable and he’s average at best. He’s one dimensional. He may get better over there, but I wouldn’t count on it. Would you really be against a similarly aged pitcher, also cost controlled in trade? It fits your criteria, right?

Maybe it isn’t available but I’d be willing to do that. And, as stated, that trade brings back much more than would Mancini. 

No one is off limits for me, hence me suggesting trading Adley.  😉

24 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Yes, I meant Mayo. And of course it would have to be the right trade. I like RM’s bat, but I’m not tied to him like I am with some of the other guys coming up. My point is Mancini has limited value in trade. Whereas RM could get them a nice piece, like a pitcher in the example you made.

You shouldn't be tied to anyone coming up. They haven't proven anything yet. Mountcastle has

3 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

You shouldn't be tied to anyone coming up. They haven't proven anything yet. Mountcastle has

He’s proven he can hit ML pitching, it’s a valuable commodity. But even his best skill would be enhanced if he had more plate discipline. If he brings back someone who is relatively the same age at a position of need I make the best move for the team.

For the Orioles, who Elias has said need a pipeline of controllable talent, guys like Stowers, Westburg and Henderson fit that bill. And they all play more important roles defensively than Mountcastle. 

As I’ve said, I like RM, but in the right deal he’s gone.

16 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Tate, Mancini, Santander and some cash(a few million) for MacKenzie and prospect in the 6-12 range in their organization.  Maybe you are lucky enough to squeeze out an into lottery ticket too.

That’s a deal I would love to see made.

BTw, take out Tate and insert Lopez here as well..prospect would need to be more in the 3-8 or so range but same type of concept.  

20 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t know that they would.  But they have a lot of pitching and some of his numbers suggest he has been lucky this year, ERA wise.  He’s a flyball pitcher who is giving up a lot of homers and if they want to make a run and think they could use bats like Santander and Mancini to do it and if they feel they can replace MacKenzie, maybe something can happen there.

I tend to doubt it since Cle is cheap and would probably prefer to trade Plesac but I also don’t think they can get the bats they need for him.

Are you trying to convince me NOT to make a trade?

19 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

See, this is where we really don't know how decisions are made. Hyde and Elias have bee very consistent calling decisions like this a collaborative decision. 

I would hope that in game decision are made after pre-game discussion on availability, situations and matchups and are done by finalized by Hyde. 

Honestly, I don't know how it works and lots of managers now are just slaves to the what the computers spit out.

Look at Cash in Tampa. he may have cost his team a WS because he pulled a perfectly good starting pitcher because the computers said it was the percentage move.  

I'm not against the computer systems and certainly not against using stats and matchups for your decisions, but I also believe in managers' intuition to override the information sometimes. 

My only quibble here is that it weakens your point to say "intuition." I would say rather that the belief or decision is based partly on things the manager, coaches can see and hear on the field or in the dugout that the computer-generated model doesn't. (This may even include what the player himself observes of his own condition.)

18 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Baseball Savant has him in the 80th percentile for outs above average this season.  I think he's turning into a pretty good defensive first baseman. 

Just now, Big Mac said:

Baseball Savant has him in the 80th percentile for outs above average this season.  I think he's turning into a pretty good defensive first baseman. 

I think he made a pretty bad play on the west coast after I went to bed.

People were pretty upset about it.