Adley and passed balls

OriolesMagic83

I looked up his stats and he has allowed no passed balls so far.  Chrinos has only allowed 3 all year.  This could be another area that he adds value to the team.  Will be interesting if he can actually decrease wild pitch rates some too.  The 95 mph slider that is bounced 3 feet in front of the plate that is a wild pitch almost always. 

For all the complaining about Chirinos hitting, he has been an asset behind the plate. He knows his role and is probably helping AR adjust to MLB. I wouldn't mind him hanging on as a number player/coach next year unless there is someone in the wings.

2 minutes ago, AlbNYfan said:

For all the complaining about Chirinos hitting, he has been an asset behind the plate. He knows his role and is probably helping AR adjust to MLB. I wouldn't mind him hanging on as a number player/coach next year unless there is someone in the wings.

Do we have anything out there supporting this?

I mean I guess it could be true but I've not heard anything.

Why do you think he'd be an asset as a coach?

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do we have anything out there supporting this?

I mean I guess it could be true but I've not heard anything.

Why do you think he'd be an asset as a coach?

There have been some comments on broadcasts saying explicitly this. Have even quoted Adley has mentioning it.

1 minute ago, survivedc said:

There have been some comments on broadcasts saying explicitly this. Have even quoted Adley has mentioning it.

Cool.

I don't read much into backslapping comments like that but if he's being helpful great.

Doesn't mean he should get a coaching position.

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Gotta wonder how many passed balls turned into runs with Severino behind the plate.  It's probably not a huge amount, but every little bit counts.

I don’t gotta wonder, cuz I looked it up.  
Last year Severino allowed 10 passed balls.  (8 in the first 83 games, BTW.)  Six times, no runs scored on or after the miscue.  Once, a run scored on the passed ball.  Three other times, a run scored later in the inning.  Of those, in one case the runner advanced from 2nd to 3rd but scored on a double that made the extra base irrelevant.  The other two times, a runner advanced from 1st to 2nd and later scored on a double.  So, altogether, certainly no more than 4 runs resulted, certainly no less than 1, and in all probability the real range is 1-3.   

One of those instances was a real horror show: runner reaches 1B on an error by the 1B, advances to 2B on the passed ball, then with one out a batter stays alive on a foul pop dropped by the 2B, and then he hits a run-scoring double.  So, you gonna blame that one on Severino?   Lost the damned game by one run, too!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Last year Severino allowed 10 passed balls.  (8 in the first 83 games, BTW.)  Six times, no runs scored on or after the miscue.  Once, a run scored on the passed ball.  Three other times, a run scored later in the inning.  Of those, in one case the runner advanced from 2nd to 3rd but scored on a double that made the extra base irrelevant.  The other two times, a runner advanced from 1st to 2nd and later scored on a double.  So, altogether, certainly no more than 4 runs resulted, certainly no less than 1, and in all probability the real range is 1-3.   

One of those instances was a real horror show: runner reaches 1B on an error by the 1B, advances to 2B on the passed ball, then with one out a batter stays alive on a foul pop dropped by the 2B, and then he hits a run-scoring double.  So, you gonna blame that one on Severino?   Lost the damned game by one run, too!

Hey Frob?  Next time I wonder something like that and then you come in here and ruin everything with your well crafted research?  Just stop.  Stop.  Let me keep blaming Pedro Severino and his shoddy defense in my mind for, like, 318 runs last year and that was a key reason we were so bad. 

Just let me have this.

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So we can thank Severino for the #1 overall draft pick?

He's a hero.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

He does look impressive and more text book blocking pitches than Wieters used to be.   Both are/were good but Rutschman is quicker and uses his body more.

Rutschman also looks more text book, according to today's rules, in tag plays at the plate.  He seems to be well positioned to make the tag without ever raising any doubt as to whether he might be called for blocking the plate.

Guys who came along under the old rules and were trained to block the plate, like Wieters, seem to have a much harder time adjusting.  Of course, Wieters was built like a brick wall, so not many opposing players wanted to come home and see Matt ready to step into their way.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, WillyM said:

Rutschman also looks more text book, according to today's rules, in tag plays at the plate.  He seems to be well positioned to make the tag without ever raising any doubt as to whether he might be called for blocking the plate.

Guys who came along under the old rules and were trained to block the plate, like Wieters, seem to have a much harder time adjusting.  Of course, Wieters was built like a brick wall, so not many opposing players wanted to come home and see Matt ready to step into their way.

Wieters IMO was a fantastic catch and tag guy.  He was a brick wall when blocking was allowed, but he had good hands and long arms and was good at the sweep tag too.  Adley has made several nice catch and tags during his brief major league tenure.  

• Upvote 1