Mancini trade market heating up? Orioles willing to deal Santander? Yankees and Mets?

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I wouldn’t count on Tate to be part of it.  Lopez maybe.

I would think Tate would be part of a package, not traded individually.

They should deal Tate, Mancini and Santander…and get Snell.

There are others I would deal as well but I’m not giving some of them away for nothing.  As much as I don’t like Lyles, his innings do provide value to this team, especially with GRod out and Hall struggling.   I would still deal him but don’t think I’m giving him up for basically nothing either.  The saved money is that important.

The wild cards are Mullins, Hays and Lopez.  If the offers are strong enough, you move them.

The most interesting thing to look for this deadline is the money aspect of things.  How does the Angelos family handle this?

That's  madness.

• Upvote 1

I think people are way too over-optimistic about our ability to next compete in the AL East, without making trades.

Mullins is someone I really would've liked to see us trade in the offseason at high value and still would like us to trade for good value should he recoup a bit of his value and pull his OPS up a bit. Santander, López, Mancini, Tate...all of these guys should be traded for good value, we have plenty of guys worth trying to fill their spots (Stewart, Stowers, Díaz), and we need good trades, and good use of the market selling high, as part of this rebuild too. The Givens and Scott/ Sulser trades have been decent, but if I've one criticism of Elias, it's that I thought we'd be a bit more forward thinking with trades to generate excess value during his reign. 

Santander is the one that I keep feeling like maybe we should wait out to see if he can prove to have more value than he would currently fetch but perhaps that is totally irrational at this point, he is 27 now with almost 1500 PA in the majors. 

12 minutes ago, Pickles said:

That's  madness.

Yeah. Why rock the boat that much?  We’ve been playing .500 ball, minus our 6-14 start, why weaken next year’s team?  As is, we’ll have a top bullpen, a top 1-9 lineup in the AL, and SPs GR, Hall, Wells, Kremer, and possibly Lyles. 

This team needs a rake, and not a backhoe. If we have a chance to add some back end rotation types for next year for depth piece position player prospects, then that is the type of buying we should do. As for selling, only Mancini makes sense. We’d have to get really blown away to trade Santander. He offers affordable production for next year versus what a FA COF/DH type would. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

I think people are way too over-optimistic about our ability to next compete in the AL East, without making trades.

Mullins is someone I really would've liked to see us trade in the offseason at high value and still would like us to trade for good value should he recoup a bit of his value and pull his OPS up a bit. Santander, López, Mancini, Tate...all of these guys should be traded for good value, we have plenty of guys worth trying to fill their spots (Stewart, Stowers, Díaz), and we need good trades, and good use of the market selling high, as part of this rebuild too. The Givens and Scott/ Sulser trades have been decent, but if I've one criticism of Elias, it's that I thought we'd be a bit more forward thinking with trades to generate excess value during his reign. 

Santander is the one that I keep feeling like maybe we should wait out to see if he can prove to have more value than he would currently fetch but perhaps that is totally irrational at this point, he is 27 now with almost 1500 PA in the majors. 

.500 baseball for 1/3 of the season is reason for optimism. Especially with Gunnar, Westburg, and Vavra, solving our three position player needs. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

There are others I would deal as well but I’m not giving some of them away for nothing.  As much as I don’t like Lyles, his innings do provide value to this team, especially with GRod out and Hall struggling.   I would still deal him but don’t think I’m giving him up for basically nothing either.  The saved money is that important.

The wild cards are Mullins, Hays and Lopez.  If the offers are strong enough, you move them.

The most interesting thing to look for this deadline is the money aspect of things.  How does the Angelos family handle this?

It would take a LOT to get me to move all three. Not sure if you are suggesting that. I do like the Snell idea. There may be other arb eligible pitchers with a couple years of control who could be had for a non-top 10 prospect.

16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

.500 baseball for 1/3 of the season is reason for optimism. Especially with Gunnar, Westburg, and Vavra, solving our three position player needs. 

Definitely. We are getting closer, no doubt. But still think we need to continue building intelligently and finding excess value in the trade market. Especially trading from an area of strength (OF, DH type, and RP) when we have so many position players in the wings and have been effective at finding good relief pitchers. When you look at the Yankees, Rays, Toronto, and Red Sox rosters you realize how far there is to go, still.  

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yeah. Why rock the boat that much?  We’ve been playing .500 ball, minus our 6-14 start, why weaken next year’s team?  As is, we’ll have a top bullpen, a top 1-9 lineup in the AL, and SPs GR, Hall, Wells, Kremer, and possibly Lyles. 

This team needs a rake, and not a backhoe. If we have a chance to add some back end rotation types for next year for depth piece position player prospects, then that is the type of buying we should do. As for selling, only Mancini makes sense. We’d have to get really blown away to trade Santander. He offers affordable production for next year versus what a FA COF/DH type would. 

It's laughably STUPID and DUMB and only an IDIOT would suggest such a thing.

Am I doing it right?

Seriously, we're going to give up an "All-Star" 1b/dh, admittedly only a rental, an OF on pace for 3 WAR this year and almost 3 years service time left, AND a solid relief pitcher with a current ERA under 2, and almost 4 years of service time left, for ......... checks notes........

For a guy who has just spent two years being below average while pitching in one of the friendliest environments in either league, and is getting progressively worse, and is owed over 20 million dollars for his year and a half of service time before he hits FA again.

Yeah, that's going to be a hard pass.

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Pickles said:

It's laughably STUPID and DUMB and only an IDIOT would suggest such a thing.

Am I doing it right?

Seriously, we're going to give up an "All-Star" 1b/dh, admittedly only a rental, an OF on pace for 3 WAR this year and almost 3 years service time left, AND a solid relief pitcher with a current ERA under 2, and almost 4 years of service time left, for ......... checks notes........

For a guy who has just spent two years being below average while pitching in one of the friendliest environments in either league, and is getting progressively worse, and is owed over 20 million dollars for his year and a half of service time before he hits FA again.

Yeah, that's going to be a hard pass.

I don't think he was suggesting those three for Snell straight-up, was he? That would be madness.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Why do you want Snell?  He is 30, has a poor ERA, and isn't a guy that can pitch deep in games.  Are you just hoping to revive his career?  Do you know something re: peripherals that I am missing?

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

Why do you want Snell?  He is 30, has a poor ERA, and isn't a guy that can pitch deep in games.  Are you just hoping to revive his career?  Do you know something re: peripherals that I am missing?

The biggest issue is 16M for one year.   If he pitches poorly you overpaid.  If he pitches well, he's gone after 2023.   It's a one year gamble.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

As for selling, only Mancini makes sense. We’d have to get really blown away to trade Santander. He offers affordable production for next year versus what a FA COF/DH type would. 

We have Stowers who's already ready, Cowser in AA and Kjerstad who's starting off nicely. Not to mention Vavra, who may end up in the OF.

You don't trade Santander because you want to dump him. You trade him because he has value and potentially better guys ready to take his spot.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The biggest issue is 16M for one year.   If he pitches poorly you overpaid.  If he pitches well, he's gone after 2023.   It's a one year gamble.

All of that is true. Not speaking for SG, but I think some of the attraction is the possible return to prominence, sure. The other part of this is what we would get back from SD for taking on their salary. I would want to see the medicals on him, and I would want to know that Snell is going to come here, be able to learn and be a solid part of this clubhouse. If any of that is not there, pass. I do not know much about the guy since he left TB, but the public numbers are not inspiring. Maybe he just needs a culture change, IDK. It’s a gamble. 

Moving Mancini and Lopez makes sense in the long run. I'm curious as to what the returns would look like and specifically what kind of haul we would expect back for them. NL implementing the DH seems like it creates even more value with a guy like Mancini.

I am not in favor of moving Hays... to me he is still coming into his own. 

The time to move Mullins was last year. I'm not sure the value will be worth what the O's would expect.

Personally, I am ready to move Tate. He is not as consistent as he would need to be in the role we want him in. I would have to be blown away to move Lopez now.

Moving Mancini, sounds like a movie title, is an obvious need. To the Mets makes a bit of sense. How much say does Buck have? Not expecting much in return, maybe a pair of young talented DSL/FCL/A- pitchers. We’ll throw in Cadyn Grenier for Buck. 

Santander is different for me now. A part of me says the new plate discipline is a mirage, and the fact that he has not been injured yet is a miracle. But then, a part of me says he is starting to barrel the ball again recently and the new coaches have gotten through to him. He was too bulky to begin the year, and seems to have trimmed down some. He is moving better now, and his OF play is improved. I would need a legitimate return now, or wait until December to move him.

Lyles has had great value to this team, on and off the field. That said, I believe he was signed to likely be moved at this time. He is not a must move, though.

Odor might go, and as much as I like him, Mateo could go as well. We have the depth to replace them. Mateo is an extremely talented guy. He does things I have never seen an Orioles SS do on defense. He is fun to watch play defense and run the bases. The bat seems like it can work if he learns to cover the outside corner and lay off the slider. He pulls off and needs a RCF approach. He has gap to gap power to all fields, but has seemed to want to pull the ball mostly. With Westburg, Henderson and Vavra seemingly ready for a shot, it could happen.

• Upvote 1