My 2022 Midseason Report Card

Frobby

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

There are a couple of different sources, but the one most easy to access is Fangraphs.   Here a link to their list of defensive stats for 54 catchers, 200 innings caught minimum (look at the column labeled "FRM").    They have him dead last in framing runs, at -9.5   Adley is 14th, at +2.5, despite not having caught that many games yet.  On a per-game basis he is pretty spectacular. 

Baseball Prospectus has its own framing metric.  They have Chirinos at -10.0, Rutschman at +1.7. 

Now let me just say, when I watch Chirinos, I don't notice that he is a particularly bad framer.   But the stats say otherwise.   

I don't know of publicly available sources that track this at the minor league level.

Thank you Frobby. I agree on Chirinos, that really surprised me.

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

Mountcastle seems very overrated, especially if grading on a scale. He’s doing about what I expected he would do. 

We all want to see his OBP higher, but he is hitting a ton of extra base hits.  With the back end of our lineup very weak, those extra base hits are incredibly valuable.

Edited by yark14

3 minutes ago, yark14 said:

Heads up, your bias is showing.

We all want to see his OBP higher, but he is hitting a ton of extra base hits.  With the back end of our lineup very weak, those extra base hits are incredibly valuable.

If I were the type of person to believe in such a thing I'd posit that he has a "nose" for RBIs.

I think you're "in the ballpark" (see what I did there) on most of these, but I'd give Bruce Zimmerman a D+ at best based on his performance over the last couple of weeks.   54 hits and 33 earned runs in his last 31 innings?   His performance has dropped off the cliff just when we need him most.  

6 hours ago, waroriole said:

Mountcastle seems very overrated, especially if grading on a scale. He’s doing about what I expected he would do. 

I guess I expected less than you.  

Last year he had a 114 OPS+.   This year he’s at 127.

Last year he was worth 0.9 rWAR for the full year.  This year he’s been worth 1.6 rWAR in half a season.  

That’s all while being unlucky.   His actual wOBA is a healthy .346, but his xwOBA is .399.   

Honestly I’ve never been a huge Mountcastle fan, but he’s having a very good season that could get even better.  

• Upvote 1

On 7/9/2022 at 4:10 PM, waroriole said:

He’s the most underrated Orioles player right now. The team would not have had a great month without Mountcastle’s outstanding June. He’s the offensive MVO so far. 

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

I guess I expected less than you.  

Last year he had a 114 OPS+.   This year he’s at 127.

Last year he was worth 0.9 rWAR for the full year.  This year he’s been worth 1.6 rWAR in half a season.  

That’s all while being unlucky.   His actual wOBA is a healthy .346, but his xwOBA is .399.   

Honestly I’ve never been a huge Mountcastle fan, but he’s having a very good season that could get even better.  

To put that in perspective, if Ryan keeps this up, and that’s a significant if, a 127 OPS+ would be better than all but one of Nick Markakis’ seasons. Too many Orioles fans are basically ignoring  Mountcastle IMO. He doesn’t walks as much as we would like and he sort of seems like he’s goofing off all the time (he’s often grinning and smacking gum and just goofing around), and he is not Odor-level entertaining, but the kid can hit and has a ton of power potential. I’m amazed at how few positive posts there are about Ryan’s season to date. Hopefully he has a strong second half and gets more positive  attention. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

To put that in perspective, if Ryan keeps this up, and that’s a significant if, a 127 OPS+ would be better than all but one of Nick Markakis’ seasons. Too many Orioles fans are basically ignoring  Mountcastle IMO. He doesn’t walks as much as we would like and he sort of seems like he’s goofing off all the time (he’s often grinning and smacking gum and just goofing around), and he is not Odor-level entertaining, but the kid can hit and has a ton of power potential. I’m amazed at how few positive posts there are about Ryan’s season to date. Hopefully he has a strong second half and gets more positive  attention. 

You’re membership in the unofficial Ryan Mountcastle fan club has been accepted.  You are also appointed Vice President.