More Milestones

SteveA

This 8 game winning streak is the Orioles' first in a season* since April/May 2005, when Lee Mazzilli was manager.   So Brandon Hyde has accomplished something that Sam Perlozzo, Dave Trembley, Juan Samuel, and Buck Showalter never did.

*The Orioles did have a 12 game winning streak that spanned two seasons under Buck, as they won the last 5 games in 2015 and the first 7 in 2016.

The 4 game series sweep is the first for the Orioles since they swept Texas 4 games in July 2017.

The 7-0 homestand is the Orioles' first undefeated homestand of 7 or more games since September 1969, when they had a home stand where they went 7-0 vs the Red Sox, Senators, and Indians.   Since then, they had had 11 undefeated homestands (that included more than one opponent), but none of 7 games:

5-0 April 2016 (Minn/TB)
   6-0 July 2003 (Tex/Ana)
   5-0 Sept 1999 (Sea/Oak)
   6-0 July 1998 (Bos/Tor)
   4-0 Apr 1997 (Tex/Minn)
   4-0 May/Jun 1997 (Cle/NYY)
   6-0 Jun 1993 (Sea/Oak)
   6-0 Aug 1980 (Min/CWS)
   4-0 Sept 1975 (Milw/Det)
   5-0 Sept 1974 (Det/Milw)
   5-0 Sept 1970 (NYY/Bos)

• Upvote 4

One other note:  If we win tomorrow night, the 9 game winning streak would be our longest since 1999, when we had a 13 game winning streak.

I have no recollection of this one:   On September 7, we were 61-76, and we reeled off a 13 game winning streak to get to 74-76 before finishing78-84.  I honestly don't remember that.   Probably had pretty much given up on the season.   And it did not save Ray Miller his job, as he was fired after the season and replaced by Mike Hargrove.

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

One other note:  If we win tomorrow night, the 9 game winning streak would be our longest since 1999, when we had a 13 game winning streak.

I have no recollection of this one:   On September 7, we were 61-76, and we reeled off a 13 game winning streak to get to 74-76 before finishing78-84.  I honestly don't remember that.   Probably had pretty much given up on the season.   And it did not save Ray Miller his job, as he was fired after the season and replaced by Mike Hargrove.

The lesson here is that one good winning streak shouldn’t mislead you.   Of course, that one came when it was already too late to matter.   The current one is more meaningful.   

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The lesson here is that one good winning streak shouldn’t mislead you.   Of course, that one came when it was already too late to matter.   The current one is more meaningful.   

Very meaningful….it has people lobbying to deviate from the plan for the proverbial red herring run.

15 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Very meaningful….it has people lobbying to deviate from the plan for the proverbial red herring run.

So let’s just talk hypotheticals here.  We have 16 games before the trade deadline, but let’s say the O’s really need to fish or cut bait after 14 games.   So, assume they go 9-5 (52-49 overall) and are in a flat-footed tie for the final wild card spot, and 4 games out of top wild card position.   Are you saying they should follow the same plan they would have followed if they were 10 games out of the last wild card spot?

Frankly, I’m glad the team has those 14 or so games to play before they have to act.   The 8-game winning streak has been nice, but those next 14 games (including 7 with Tampa and 3 with New York) will give us a much better idea whether a playoff run is realistic.  

To be clear, I don’t want us trading prospects for rentals in any scenario.   I have an open mind about all other possibilities.    

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So let’s just talk hypotheticals here.  We have 16 games before the trade deadline, but let’s say the O’s really need to fish or cut bait after 14 games.   So, assume they go 9-5 (52-49 overall) and are in a flat-footed tie for the final wild card spot, and 4 games out of top wild card position.   Are you saying they should follow the same plan they would have followed if they were 10 games out of the last wild card spot?

Frankly, I’m glad the team has those 14 or so games to play before they have to act.   The 8-game winning streak has been nice, but those next 14 games (including 7 with Tampa and 3 with New York) will give us a much better idea whether a playoff run is realistic.  

To be clear, I don’t want us trading prospects for rentals in any scenario.   I have an open mind about all other possibilities.    

I think you trade Trey, Santander, and Lopez regardless of the record if you receive value. You bring up a couple of the infielders at AAA , trade/cut Odor, Mateo , and possibly Urias depending on how many you want to bring up. If you can get a salary SP you do so.  I mentioned Bumgarner for a couple of middling prospects…..Arizona pays 50% of remaining 2022, 50% of 2023, and 0% of 2024. 

Just now, Frobby said:

Yep, I have an open mind about that, depending on the situation.  

I think they'd have to be blown away to give up a prominent bullpen piece.

The real question marks are Mancini and Santander.

And with these two I ask myself if these guys are going to be more valuable to a potential trade partner, than they are to the Orioles.

Trading away either one for a quality player that's just a year away may be a slight improvement to the 24 season... and some might argue that's what ought be done... but it would pretty much end any shot at a wildcard. There really aren't any DH/OF big bats in the cupboard that could reliably step into the role.

Trading Mancini or Santander creates a bigger hole for the Orioles than the hole it would fill for most any other team.

So if it were me... the offer would have to be disproportionately favorable... or the wildcard opportunity would have to have evaporated by the deadline

14 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think you trade Trey, Santander, and Lopez regardless of the record if you receive value. You bring up a couple of the infielders at AAA , trade/cut Odor, Mateo , and possibly Urias depending on how many you want to bring up. If you can get a salary SP you do so.  I mentioned Bumgarner for a couple of middling prospects…..Arizona pays 50% of remaining 2022, 50% of 2023, and 0% of 2024. 

Mateo and Urias aren't going anywhere. You can bring up all 3 infielders and DFA/option Nevin, Odor and Arauz.

45 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Mateo and Urias aren't going anywhere. You can bring up all 3 infielders and DFA/option Nevin, Odor and Arauz.

That’s only a good idea if they buy into the idea of being part time guys playing once a week. I’m surprised so many people are so low on Nevin. He’s barely had a real shot.I thought he had some quality at bats Saturday night.

16 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

That’s only a good idea if they buy into the idea of being part time guys playing once a week. I’m surprised so many people are so low on Nevin. He’s barely had a real shot.I thought he had some quality at bats Saturday night.

I think they would buy into that over not having a job.

Nevin is a 25 year-old with no defensive value with a sub .800 OPS in the minors and sub .750 OPS at AA and AAA over 265 games.

Nothing I have seen makes me think he is more than a AAAA player at best, and AAAA players at least have success at AAA which Nevin hasn't.

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I think they would buy into that over not having a job.

Nevin is a 25 year-old with no defensive value with a sub .800 OPS in the minors and sub .750 OPS at AA and AAA over 265 games.

Nothing I have seen makes me think he is more than a AAAA player at best, and AAAA players at least have success at AAA which Nevin hasn't.

Noted …thanks