2022 2nd Round Pick Comp B (#67): Jud Fabian - OF - (Jr) Florida University

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t disagree.  BA isn’t everything but it’s not meaningless either.  I think he’s got a ton of bust potential and I would have rather seen them go a different direction.

That said, he does represent a big upside and I prefer swinging for the fences for him vs someone like Servideo.

True, but i think Servideo was to save some money for Mayo and Baumler and it was a COVID draft so they took a gamble is sudden success was a breakout. It doesn't not appear so but he's been hurt a lot.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

True, but i think Servideo was to save some money for Mayo and Baumler and it was a COVID draft so they took a gamble is sudden success was a breakout. It doesn't not appear so but he's been hurt a lot.

Well you can use Servideo or someone like him.  In other words, a lower ceiling/higher floor college guy who will still cost you in the neighborhood of slot. 

Give me a talented kid like Fabian over that all day.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well you can use Servideo or someone like him.  In other words, a lower ceiling/higher floor college guy who will still cost you in the neighborhood of slot. 

Give me a talented kid like Fabian over that all day.

Sure, I don't mind taking a reach here on a guy with a high ceiling, I just don't know if that hit tool will carry. I mean, is there a guy in the major leagues who hit .239 or less during the year he was drafted who is a regular? 

We'll see. 

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Sure, I don't mind taking a reach here on a guy with a high ceiling, I just don't know if that hit tool will carry. I mean, is there a guy in the major leagues who hit .239 or less during the year he was drafted who is a regular? 

We'll see. 

Well he's supposed to be plus fielder in CF makes the bat play up. Somebody with the O's are clearly very high on him. Wanting to draft him two years straight.

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

That would be a great outcome, but I think there's about a 10% chance of him becoming that player. We'll see. there is talent here but the very low average, particularly the less than .200 average in conference concerns me.

Me too.  Obviously the development staff has work to do here.   Presumably they think they can improve his contact rate.  We’ll see.

2 minutes ago, Stotle said:

Thumbs up. Like Houston/LAD, I am confident Baltimore has good feel for the players with the skill set needed to succeed AND is getting pretty good at finding the players that both have those skills and fit their dev system. I think he's a big leaguer and there's upside to boot.

Great seeing you, man!      

Milwaukee sure does know some pitching stuff, huh?

13 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Great seeing you, man!      

Milwaukee sure does know some pitching stuff, huh?

They are really good at what they do. So is Baltimore! It's been fun watching the Brewers up close and Orioles from afar each grow so much as an org. Really good groups in their respective front offices. Smart...

• Upvote 4

Last year he supposedly turned down over $3mil to go back to school and improve his draft status. The slot money for the #67 this year is $1,026,300. How much overslot do you think the Orioles will go for him this year? I think he left some money on the table. My guess is he gets somewhere in the $2mil range.

7 minutes ago, markpolis said:

Last year he supposedly turned down over $3mil to go back to school and improve his draft status. The slot money for the #67 this year is $1,026,300. How much overslot do you think the Orioles will go for him this year? I think he left some money on the table. My guess is he gets somewhere in the $2mil range.

Why should he get anything overslot?  It's not the Orioles fault he didn't get to them last year.  He could have taken 2M from the Red Sox.  He turns 22 fairly soon.  

10 minutes ago, markpolis said:

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Why should he get anything overslot?  It's not the Orioles fault he didn't get to them last year.  He could have taken 2M from the Red Sox.  He turns 22 fairly soon.  

I've seen stories like these before in which the player missed out on his best potential payday and kept trying again only to do worse each time.  Does he roll the dice a third time?  Is his pride a factor?

My guess is he goes for between slot and what what the Red Sox offered last year.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've seen stories like these before in which the player missed out on his best potential payday and kept trying again only to do worse each time.  Does he roll the dice a third time?  Is his pride a factor?

My guess is he goes for between slot and what what the Red Sox offered last year.

Why? He went where he went on merit.  Why would he ask for more?  Because he can?   Slot is fair under this system.