Two moves I hope Elias makes for the 2nd Half

wildcard

21 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

There's no way a team with Gausman, Bundy, Cobb, Machado, Jones, Mancini, Schoop, Castro, Brach and Givens should have lost 115 games.  Were they a winning team?  No  There had to have been a toxic clubhouse and they played like they were half dead.  Whatever negative vibes that team had must have killed any sense of team they had.  There's no way that team should have lost over 100 games.  For people that would say most of those players were only there 2/3 of the year or less, the O's actually started playing better after most of the veterans were traded.

Cobb lol. You mean the guy that laid up for three years. Was he ever even in a clubhouse?

7 hours ago, SilverRocket said:

I was trying to translate exactly what happens on the field. A single and a steal is the same game result as a double, and a single and a CS is the same game result as an out. We're just counting total bases (for SLG) and total outs (for OBP), so I don't see why they should be treated differently for the purposes of OPS. I can buy that OPS is a flawed metric for this though.

I didn't check how many times he's stolen third, so it's possible that makes a big difference in baserunning runs. Stealing third probably nets way fewer runs than stealing second.

Remember that about half of all at bats take place with runners on base.  Doubles knock in more runs than singles, regardless of whether the hitter of the single then steals 2B.  

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

Remember that about half of all at bats take place with runners on base.  Doubles knock in more runs than singles, regardless of whether the hitter of the single then steals 2B.  

Yeah, I was wrong on this one... just shortcutted the "single = walk" idea a bit too far. So he's more like .630 OPS. I think I'm still satisfied with that as an everyday SS, but partly that's because I think him getting consistent SS reps is what has helped his defense. I'm just not sure his defense holds up as well as a utility guy, like we saw last year. I'd rather have Urias or Vavra moving around positions than Mateo.

2 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

Yeah, I was wrong on this one... just shortcutted the "single = walk" idea a bit too far. So he's more like .630 OPS. I think I'm still satisfied with that as an everyday SS, but partly that's because I think him getting consistent SS reps is what has helped his defense. I'm just not sure his defense holds up as well as a utility guy, like we saw last year. I'd rather have Urias or Vavra moving around positions than Mateo.

Normally, I’d be very concerned about a .630 OPS (or equivalent) at any position. But in a year in which the league has an OPS of .701 and the player in question is a top 3 defender at SS, you can justify it pretty easily.

I'm pretty disappointed, although not necessarily surprised, that today has come and gone without a roster move. I thought maybe we'd see Arauz, Nevin, or Garcia replaced on the active roster. It really seems like we will have to wait for trades or injuries for the next moves to be made. Which is fine or whatever, but still disappointing. 

On 7/22/2022 at 3:53 PM, interloper said:

I'm pretty disappointed, although not necessarily surprised, that today has come and gone without a roster move. I thought maybe we'd see Arauz, Nevin, or Garcia replaced on the active roster. It really seems like we will have to wait for trades or injuries for the next moves to be made. Which is fine or whatever, but still disappointing. 

I think you have to wait a little longer before disappointment is justified.

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2022 at 12:54 PM, SilverRocket said:

Mateo is the best O's defensive shortstop in my Oriole fanhood (1980's on) Sorry,Cal.

• Haha 1