Draft Signings

12 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

I've looked around but haven't found anything.  Have the O's signed any of this year's draft class yet?  Anyone they are worried won't sign?

Haven't seen any news either. As to the latter question, it's been said that there's a good chance some of the round 11-20 draftees won't sign. Essentially some might be overslot candidates who we wouldn't actually be able to pay all of (i.e., whoever takes the money gets it).

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Holliday signed for $8.19MM…

Thanks for posting. I think it’s a pretty good deal given that it’s roughly $650k under slot. I thought it might be in the $8.4-8.5 range, so that should help. If they utilized the extra 5% (seems unlikely), they would have just under $1.5 to go after some of the later over slot selections.

I put together what is becoming my now annual excel sheet for the draft. The only signing so far is Holliday at $8.19M. 

It seems like most picks will be at slot, with Bright and Johnson potential underslots (could save a total of $656k), and then Showalter, Carter, and Walters being potential overslots.

With the $657k savings of Holliday + the potential $656k savings from Bright/Johnson (this is just my speculation), the O's would have $1.313M (plus $125k/player) for those overslots (Showalter, Carter, and Walters). Meaning, if they sign all 3, they could have as much as $1.688M to work with. That sounds pretty tight, but not impossible (3rd round slots range from $577k to $794k).

**Note: this doesn't include the 5% buffer, which is about $847k, so not an insignificant number

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cnmilton said:

Looks like both Beavers and Fabian have signed. Reporter friend told me that there is a press conference for them today

Has the team announced Holiday or just Jon Heyman? Seems like they’re waiting on something because no signings announced yet. 

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Per Roch:

The Orioles have signed their first two draft picks – Outfielder Dylan Beavers, No. 33 overall from the University of California, and outfielder Jud Fabian, No. 67 overall from the University of Florida.

Roch can't even get the Orioles to confirm the Holliday signing?