Trade Deadline Primer/Thread

Roll Tide

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

But Mancini can't play C.  They can use an offensive catcher.  And Contreras is top shelf offensively and can DH if they really want one of those other scrubs catching/hitting.

They are looking to add 3 per the rumor. Vogelbach was the first, open to add another DH/1B/COF type, and upgrade at C. Mancini is a rental and they still have 3 or 4 DFA types. McCann can slide to back up catcher when he gets back.

15 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

They are looking to add 3 per the rumor. Vogelbach was the first, open to add another DH/1B/COF type, and upgrade at C. Mancini is a rental and they still have 3 or 4 DFA types. McCann can slide to back up catcher when he gets back.

Gotcha.  Mets looking to add 3 players explains how trading for Mancini and Contreras don't conflict.

54 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think Tampa is going to struggle, they just keep getting injured.

Pretty amazing they've managed as well as they have.

I think the Jays have a run in them.

Even McClanahan is going to attain +20%, +30 innings, whatever they go by, by mid-September at the rate he's going.

I was a little surprised they cycled Patino out after his last mediocre outing.

Tomorrow's the day if Adley has any Oregon State dirt on Drew Rasmussen.

Haven't heard a peep about Glasnow maybe getting back for the September bullpen.

They might need Taj Bradley to help make the tournament, but if they use him too much, they can't do the McClanahan move of him being good enough to pitch for them in the World Series, but not good enough to pitch for them in April of the following season.

Edited by Just Regular

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Gotcha.  Mets looking to add 3 players explains how trading for Mancini and Contreras don't conflict.

I think getting Contreras does conflict some as the Mets don’t have a deep system and some of better pitching prospects are injured.  They only have so many bullets in the gun of guys they can trade that teams would want.  I think once you get to about 20 on their list you are getting guys that wouldn’t even make our top 30.

9 hours ago, bpilktree said:

I think getting Contreras does conflict some as the Mets don’t have a deep system and some of better pitching prospects are injured.  They only have so many bullets in the gun of guys they can trade that teams would want.  I think once you get to about 20 on their list you are getting guys that wouldn’t even make our top 30.

I guess that’s possible if they run out of prospects. But, we are likely looking for guys in  A ball as 16 of our top 17 or AA or above. I’m not sure what the cubs are looking for.

Two relievers on the waiver wire I’d be interested in,

1. Angel Rodon has two options

2. Ryan Weber is out of options. 

Rosters expand to 28 in September. This would give us to additional arms. Rodon may be more of a long term project. Weber would require some creativity since he’s out of options and are current bullpen is pretty locked in, and we need the Last spot to rotate fresh arms. 

3 hours ago, Keygans said:

We can do both.  

trade Trey for the best offer.  
pick up a pitcher with multiple years for the future.

move Tate for best offer and anotherarm if someone overpays 

Lopez is the guy to move…..believe me we would be selling high

• Upvote 1

I think the O's are looking to trade Trey.  I think he is aware of this and it shows in his body language.  Buyers or Sellers....I do not think it matters except to us and the media. 

I think Elias and Sig are looking to upgrade the Orioles.  I don't think they are trying to hurt this years playoff chances, but I think they view moves to improve the chances of being successful.  I do not think they view playoffs this year as being more important or less important, but simply part of the path of progression to being a contender.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I guess that’s possible if they run out of prospects. But, we are likely looking for guys in  A ball as 16 of our top 17 or AA or above. I’m not sure what the cubs are looking for.

One of Ramirez, Vientos or Mauricio as a headliner would be my guess. Alvarez and Baty aren't likely on the table without an expanded deal.