Trade Deadline Primer/Thread

Roll Tide

Said it somewhere previously, but I think the thing holding up a Mancini trade most is Santander. Not that it's either/or for us, but that some teams that are interested in Mancini first want to see if they can swing a deal for Santander, who has been swinging a hot bat, and obviously has more years of control. I'm having as much fun watching us winning as anyone else, but the idea that we're going to get to the playoffs with the rotation we currently have is pretty ridiculous to me. Losing Wells for an extended stretch was really sobering. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

The Mets have some ridiculous starting depth...

They do …but seem to desire a top BP arm. Saw a post on twitter that is saying there is an offer on the table for Mancini and Lopez. I didn’t post it as the poster isn’t really one I’d have confidence in him.

Honestly, I think Soto needs to happen soon. I think teams that would be interested in Mancini/Santander are engaged in the Soto stuff. Could be that Elias is waiting to see if he can get a better offer.

Just now, UMDTerrapins said:

Said it somewhere previously, but I think the thing holding up a Mancini trade most is Santander. Not that it's either/or for us, but that some teams that are interested in Mancini first want to see if they can swing a deal for Santander, who has been swinging a hot bat, and obviously has more years of control. I'm having as much fun watching us winning as anyone else, but the idea that we're going to get to the playoffs with the rotation we currently have is pretty ridiculous to me. Losing Wells for an extended stretch was really sobering. 

I think Soto is the hold up. I think that Elias would trade both guys or either if he got the right offer.

5 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I'm having as much fun watching us winning as anyone else, but the idea that we're going to get to the playoffs with the rotation we currently have is pretty ridiculous to me. Losing Wells for an extended stretch was really sobering. 

Seriously, this. I mean: Lyles, Bradish, Watkins, Voth, Kremer?
And if that's not enough of a stretch, who's next... Zimmermann, Baumann, Vallimont, Garcia, Reyes?
2022 is fast becoming an ever-longer shot without serious upgrades to our SP. 
2023 offers hope from a cavalry (cringe!) of GRod, DL Hall, Means, and Wells, but that's a lot of kid gloves (and fragile arms).

I don't know how to bolster that rotation carousel, but relying on the bullpen is going to wear out our prayer beads. 

(Edit: Or, maybe this is just old-school thinking and the Rays-way is the solution already in hand?)

Edited by now

43 minutes ago, now said:

Seriously, this. I mean: Lyles, Bradish, Watkins, Voth, Kremer?
And if that's not enough of a stretch, who's next... Zimmermann, Baumann, Vallimont, Garcia, Reyes?
2022 is fast becoming an ever-longer shot without serious upgrades to our SP. 
2023 offers hope from a cavalry (cringe!) of GRod, DL Hall, Means, and Wells, but that's a lot of kid gloves (and fragile arms).

I don't know how to bolster that rotation carousel, but relying on the bullpen is going to wear out our prayer beads. 

(Edit: Or, maybe this is just old-school thinking and the Rays-way is the solution already in hand?)

I know Grod is hurt, but kind of sad if both don't come up until next year (probably not opening day) when all winter and through spring this year Elias said they would both be up this year. 

At some point, it’s fair to re-assess where our SP really is. We’re 100+ games in - you are who you are at this point and the record just keeps getting better month to month. Folks are waiting for the bottom to fall out, but the staff has been made large adjustments to who some of these guys are, like Watkins learning a new plus pitch this past off-season. Bradish is currently sporting a 7+ERA, yet looks like he has the best pure stuff of all of them. There is a chance the SP gets better than it has been.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, drdelaware said:

To me no news is good news on the trade front.  Let this play out since almost none of "our guys" will fetch much of a return.  If anyone I'd move Lopez.

Buy a SP in the offseason.  Spend the money.

You can talk yourself into it but that doesn’t make it true. 

4 minutes ago, oriolefan1035 said:

At some point, it’s fair to re-assess where our SP really is. We’re 100+ games in - you are who you are at this point and the record just keeps getting better month to month. Folks are waiting for the bottom to fall out, but the staff has been made large adjustments to who some of these guys are, like Watkins learning a new plus pitch this past off-season. Bradish is currently sporting a 7+ERA, yet looks like he has the best pure stuff of all of them. There is a chance the SP gets better than it has been.

Overall your point is worthy, espec. re. Lyles, Watkins, Voth. I have more concerns about the hot-and-cold trends of Bradish, Kremer, and Zimmermann. 

15 minutes ago, now said:

Overall your point is worthy, espec. re. Lyles, Watkins, Voth. I have more concerns about the hot-and-cold trends of Bradish, Kremer, and Zimmermann. 

How many starts does Voth have? He’s looking good today, poor his last start and hardly a reliable starter at this point.

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

How many starts does Voth have? He’s looking good today, poor his last start and hardly a reliable starter at this point.

True, I haven't tracked all their starts. More a gut sense, and partly a matter of hopes/expectations (higher for Bradish and Kremer). With Watkins and Voth, it's more like: gravy (on mashed potatoes). ;)

Edited by now