Trade Deadline Primer/Thread

Roll Tide

Just now, ScGO's said:

I did see this tweet from an account that looks much more credible, I didn't see it posted

Interesting, I've never heard of MLB Nerds, but they have a decent sized following and it's not because of following other users back on Twitter. Wonder what their track record is on trade rumors.

MLB Trade Rumors write up:

Mets Rumors: Bell, Mancini, Szapucki

The Orioles won 10 games in a row to thrust themselves onto the fringes of the American Wild Card chase prior to the deadline, but they’ve since gone 2-4 against the Rays and Yankees in a pair of road series. Mancini’s slump obviously isn’t the sole cause of the team’s momentum slowing down, but it was a contributing factor as Baltimore dropped a few close games. It’s also suboptimal for a club that could still move Mancini prior to next Tuesday’s trade deadline; an 0-for-22 doesn’t wipe out all of Mancini’s trade value, of course, but it’s tougher for a rival front office to give up a prospect of note for a hitter in such a pronounced slump.

6 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Interesting, I've never heard of MLB Nerds, but they have a decent sized following and it's not because of following other users back on Twitter. Wonder what their track record is on trade rumors.

It’s on page 5

17 hours ago, interloper said:

I have to laugh at the "continue to scout". Like, what could they possibly learn about Mancini that their baseball operations don't already know? 

"Ok, phew, he had a good game, pull the trigger!!" I mean Mancini is who he is, you already know exactly what you're getting. I know it's due diligence, but just seems goofy to me. 

If there's anything I've learned from Orioles Hangout over the years it's that a player's long-term true talent wildly varies all the time, and is most accurately measured by his last 12 plate appearances.  If you're not watching every pitch you might be fooled into trading a boatload of talent for an A Ball player.  Of course that could all change in the 7th inning...

• Upvote 3

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/insider/story/_/id/34293330/what-jeff-passan-hearing-one-week-mlb-trade-deadline-offensive-edition

ESPN Passan published his big piece on Bats this morning, relegating Trey to a "Best of the Rest" section.   He concluded by noting simultaneous buying and selling as a concept is growing in popularity this year among execs.

Also noticed this one last night with some Dombrowski.

https://www.mlb.com/news/dave-dombrowski-on-2022-trade-deadline-rumors

The Phillies are a team that might have some use for a Lyles-type pitcher, and relievers as always. 

Pretty sure he's saying Mick Abel and Andrew Painter will get a shot at the Rick Porcello type things next year, and please don't ask him for them for your fifth starter.

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

As of now, we’re at the point where our guys are worth more to us over the last 66 games, rather than punting the rest of this season, and the marginal returns they would bring back. 

The main guys being discussed as traded aren't really punting the season. Mullins, Hays, and even Lyles would be closer to punt category. Mancini, Santander, and Tate less so. Lopez somewhere in between for me. 

• Upvote 1

The guys who are realistically available and have some level of value are:

Lopez, Tate, Mancini, Santander, Mullins and Urias.

Urias would, imo, only be an option if they have a cost controlled pitcher in mind and they want to include Urias as part of a package.

I don’t see Lyles as having value enough to move him knowing we need his innings to protect the young arms. I don’t think anyone else in the pen will have much value outside of a sweetener in a deal and I’m not sure a deal exists where that is even needed.

Otherwise, unless they trade prospects for pitching (which I think is possible), I don’t see them trading anyone outside of that by group of 6.  And Lopez isn’t going anywhere unless the offer is significant enough to trade him, which I don’t see happening.

You can trade all of them and not punt the season however it would require the young guys to come up And perform.

To me, Santander and Tate need to be moved.  Mancini should be moved, as I think an offer will be there to justify it.

41 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The guys who are realistically available and have some level of value are:

Lopez, Tate, Mancini, Santander, Mullins and Urias.

Urias would, imo, only be an option if they have a cost controlled pitcher in mind and they want to include Urias as part of a package.

I don’t see Lyles as having value enough to move him knowing we need his innings to protect the young arms. I don’t think anyone else in the pen will have much value outside of a sweetener in a deal and I’m not sure a deal exists where that is even needed.

Otherwise, unless they trade prospects for pitching (which I think is possible), I don’t see them trading anyone outside of that by group of 6.  And Lopez isn’t going anywhere unless the offer is significant enough to trade him, which I don’t see happening.

You can trade all of them and not punt the season however it would require the young guys to come up And perform.

To me, Santander and Tate need to be moved.  Mancini should be moved, as I think an offer will be there to justify it.

Santandar and Tate trades would mean punting the season. How can we justify this to our core players (Adley, Hays, Mountcastle, etc.)? These guys are trying to win now.