Who will Elias give up to get a controllable starter?

wildcard

Well, you actually have to trade something good to get a controllable starter.  A headliner.

Vavra?

Westburg?

Stowers?

Bradish?

Mayo?

I think those players are likely on the table in the right deal. It goes without saying that players like Haskins are available as pieces.

I would be interested in seeing what some combination of - Santander / Stowers, Lopez, Prospect in 10-20 range say Prieto could bring us back.

I think Santander or Stowers should headline it because Stowers needs an opportunity either here or somewhere else and both should be viewed to have some value based on contract and potential.  I don't think Mancini has as much value as either of these guys.

Lopez may not really fit in a trade that includes Stowers but I included him because I think he is at peak trade value right now.  Maybe you can trade him alone and include his return in a trade with Stowers for a controllable pitcher?

4 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I would be interested in seeing what some combination of - Santander / Stowers, Lopez, Prospect in 10-20 range say Prieto could bring us back.

I think Santander or Stowers should headline it because Stowers needs an opportunity either here or somewhere else and both should be viewed to have some value based on contract and potential.  I don't think Mancini has as much value as either of these guys.

Lopez may not really fit in a trade that includes Stowers but I included him because I think he is at peak trade value right now.  Maybe you can trade him alone and include his return in a trade with Stowers for a controllable pitcher?

Well, the one rumor was Lopez and Mancini for 26 yo LHP David Peterson of the Mets.  On the surface,  that sounds like the type of return you should expect or even hope for.

Of course, if you sweeten the pot, you might get more.

Edited by RZNJ

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Well, the one rumor was Lopez and Mancini for 26 yo LHP David Peterson of the Mets.  On the surface,  that sounds like the type of return you should expect or even hope for.

Of course, if you sweeten the pot, you might get more.

I saw this but also saw the Mets traded for another OF so I figured this probably has no legs.  I would do this deal. I would be surprised if the Mets did.

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Players that will needed to be added to 40 man for rule 5 protection shouldn’t be taken into account as secondary pieces. Guys like Adam Hall and Joey Ortiz. 

Adam Hall can go for a used pair of cleats.  We can and will make room for Ortiz on the 40 man.  He is just getting healthy now and playing incredible, gotta see what we have here.

Next year we're looking at Grayson, Means, Hall, Wells, Kremer, with a club option for Lyles.

And a few promising arms to choose from otherwise.

The only name you mentioned that would make a dent in a controllable starter that would crack that Starting 5 above, is Kjerstad.

And you'd be selling low on him.

Keep Vavra and Kjerstad.

If you want to trade anyone else... feel free... but do it for young A ball arms...

• Upvote 1

I don't think he would trade Kjerstad right now. The only players on that list with any value are Prieto and Vavra. I am seeing Reds asking for Yankees top 3-4 prospects for Castillo and they are all MLB top 100 (Dominguez #38, Wells #69). Prieto and Vavra can't come close to matching. 

If we are serious about getting a top tier starter I would build something around Hays. He's expendable long term and becoming arb eligible but could have value to other teams. With his inconsistency and injury history I think we'd be selling at a pretty good time. I'd rather trade him than Mullins. 

The pitcher I am most interested in is Pablo Lopez, just not sure what the asking price is going to be. You can be sure Prieto will not be enough. Hays would upgrade their offense and give them a player with one more year of control. Maybe something like Hays, Vavra, and Haskin? 

I think we're more likely to see Mancini, Lopez, Tate, Santander or maybe even Mullins moved to get that controllable starter this trade deadline.

If we're talking prospects Mayo, Vavra, Ortiz, Diaz, & A Hall could be added to a deal or maybe a package built around Mayo.

Ken Rosenthal in Athletic made this speculation 

As a surprise wild-card contender, would they move three additional years of club control with Cedric Mullins for three of right-hander José Urquidy if the Astros also were willing to include center fielder Jose Siri and prospects in a larger deal? 

https://theathletic.com/3456688/2022/07/28/astros-padres-trade-deadline-starters/?source=user_shared_article

Edited by tntoriole
  • Upvote 1

Elite Pipeline are the words Elias uses frequently. To me that suggests that if someone is not going to be elite, they may be packaged in a trade. For me there is only 2 guys on the farm that currently give me the “elite” vibe: Rodriguez and Henderson. 

The player development and scouting staffs will need to understand our system best to determine if anyone else would fall into that category. Kjerstad, Hall, Ortiz, and the 2022 seem to me to be too early to tell, but I’m open to trading anyone else who could not turn out to be “elite”. Bautista types to me are also “elite” even though they are bullpen only options. I’d be open to moving any other bullpen arm except him for Pablo Lopez types. 

I also have full trust in Elias to make or pass on these trades.