Friday, July 29: Game 100 is an early evening start in Cincinnati

SteveA

Gametime:  6:40 pm

Weather:  81 degrees, no precipitation

Roster MoveKyle Bradish activated from IL;   Logan Gillaspie optioned to Norfolk

MatchupKyle Bradish (R) vs Mike Minor (L)

Lineups

1. Cedric Mullins (L) CF
2. Adley Rutschman (S) C
3. Trey Mancini (R) DH
4. Anthony Santander (S) RF
5. Ryan Mountcastle (R) 1B
6. Austin Hays (R) LF
7. Ramon Urias (R) 3B
8. Rougned Odor (L) 2B
9. Jorge Mateo (R) SS

1. Jonathan India (R) 2B
2. Brandon Drury (R) 3B
3. Tommy Pham (R) LF
4. Joey Votto (L) 1B
5. Kyle Farmer (R) SS
6. Mike Moustakas (L) DH
7. Matt Reynolds (R) RF
8. Nick Senzel (R) CF
9. Michael Papierski (S) C

Orioles Bench
Robinson Chirinos (R)
Ryan McKenna (R)
Tyler Nevin (R)
Terrin Vavra (R)

Bullpen Availability

Available
Keegan Akin (L)  1.0 IP, 8p Wednesday; 0.1 IP, 3p Tuesday
Bryan Baker 0.2 IP, 19p yesterday;  1.0IP 16p Monday 
Jorge Lopez 1.0 IP, 26 p Wednesday; 1.0 IP, 16p Tuesday 
Beau Sulser 1.1 IP, 32p Sunday for Norfolk
Dillon Tate  1.1 IP, 27p Wednesday;  1.0 IP,13p Monday

Probably Available
Joey Krehbiel   2.1 IP, 40p Tuesday

Maybe Available
Cionel Perez (L) 1.1 IP, 24p yesterday;  1.1 IP, 21p Monday 

Probably Not Available
Felix Bautista  1.1 IP, 13p yesterday;  1.0 IP, 9p Wednesday;  1.0 IP, 14p Monday 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I picture Scherzer as purely a salary dump for Texas. They are up against it in terms of Luxury tax. I also see Scherzer as a start to start pitcher in terms of durability. Not willing to give up more than a AAAA guy and a lottery ticket prospect. 
    • Meh.  Is it riskier to invest 1) in a phase 1 or phase 2 pharmaceutical or 2) when as the FDA is meeting for final approval?
    • I think of an elite athlete as something different entirely.  And I think that’s Frobby’s point.     I think of an elite athlete as someone that can easily & efficiently use their body to achieve an end goal.  Being able to manipulate their body and other implements to accomplish a specific task.  Be able to repeat that skill and adapt easily to changes in the environment.  Someone that has incredible balance, space awareness, timing, and hand eye coordination.  Someone who would thrive when thrown in any athletic environment they are put in.     To me it has nothing to do with speed, strength, or ability to jump. However, someone that is fast, jumps high, and is strong and who also can control their body et al would be the 1% elite elite.  IE. Gunnar (if you’ve seen him play other sports, he does it easily).   If I had to guess Mateo probably can’t shoot a basketball and would be a terrible ping pong player.  Just a guess watching him hit.     Not arguing or saying you are wrong, just how I define it. 
    • Who underrates Rooker? He's been mentioned in a bunch of trades. It's hard to underrate a guy averaging 141 OPS+ and an .849 OPS over the only two full seasons he's played. Oh, and the 30 HRs a year. 
    • I don't think he's going to be a star, but I think he will be a good player.  I wouldn't trade him now because I like his ability to play CF.    I would, however, not object to trading him in the right deal.  I don't think Crochet is that deal.   
    • This trade idea makes absolutely no sense unless you have the White Sox throw in Robert as well (and he won't be a throw-in, we'd have to up our package for him.)  Cowser's essentially been a full time starter and despite his bad May and mediocre June he's been an above average player for us overall.  The only way I'd consider giving up Cowser here is if they throw in Robert.  We'd probably have to package Cowser with someone better - instead of Norby we'd be looking at giving up Kjerstad or someone like that - if we wanted the WS to throw in Robert.   On top of that, Crochet is going to be of limited help this year.  We could save him for the playoffs, but that carries its own risks as well.  It's ok to look to the future, but we need to be maximizing the 2024 team's chance to win in the playoffs.  Trading a starting outfielder who's been well above average to date doesn't really do that.  Even if you assume the June version is more like his true talent level offensively, he's still likely to produce 1 to 1.5 WAR for the rest of the season just on the strength of his defense.  I'm not sure we get that from a limited Crochet + Cowser's backfill.
    • The timing matters here.  In the offseason we didn't know Cowser would become what he has defensively now, including being able to more than adequately handle CF.  Nor did we know Mullins was going to crater offensively to the extent he has. If you do this trade now, you are creating a hole in CF while only arguably upgrading the pitching for the rest of the season given Crochet's innings limitations.
  • Popular Contributors