Adley Rutschman 2x On-Base streak

Filmstudy

Adley has now been on base (no RoE) 2 or more times in 8 consecutive games.  It certainly did not look good on Friday evening after he started 0-3.

There have only been 39 longer streaks in the history of the Orioles and I don't believe any of them were rookies.

There have been 45 other streaks of exactly 2 such games and I don't believe any of those were rookies either.

Anyone who would like to strain their eyes seeing if they can find another rookie in the top 85, here is the link:

https://stathead.com/tiny/PPWXM

Brady Anderson and Eddie Murray top the list with 15 consecutive games.

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, baltfan said:

He is one of the steadiest guys I can remember the Orioles having.  He doesn’t seem to get white hot but seems to contribute something most games. 

Without us noticing, he is actually white hot now.  I still have trouble believing these stats.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Filmstudy said:

Without us noticing, he is actually white hot now.  I still have trouble believing these stats.

For those intervals, those numbers are warm, not white hot.   That’s kind of the thing with him.  He is just a steady producer, like a starter who gives up 1 or 2 over 6 inninGs every game but seldom more and almost never 0. 

I could have sworn that Kevin Brown said last night that Adley had tied the Orioles’ rookie record for consecutive games of reaching base twice, but looking at the list, I don’t see any rookies with 9 such games.   So, Adley holds that record so far as I’m concerned.   Granted, it’s one of the most obscure records ever conceived.   Now let’s see how far he can take it.   

As to the question of whether Adley is “white hot,” in the nine games he’s hit .423/.556/.692, for a 1.248 OPS.   Looking at the 14 others who had a 9 game streak of reaching base twice, 9 had a higher BA during their streak, 7 had a higher OBP, 9 had a higher SLG, 8 had a higher OPS.  Certainly not an outlier on the low end (that would be Ken Singleton at .364/.523/.515 or Boig Powell at .346/.595/.462). So, since only 39 Orioles have ever had a streak that long in the franchise’s 69 years in Baltimore, I’m going to go ahead and call that white hot.  I do agree in general that it doesn’t really feel  like he’s white hot, though.   

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I could have sworn that Kevin Brown said last night that Adley had tied the Orioles’ rookie record for consecutive games of reaching base twice

He said the tie was with Boog Powell, not sure where they got that from. 

Just now, justD said:

He said the tie was with Boog Powell, not sure where they got that from. 

That’s what I thought they said.  Boog had two streaks of 9 games, but neither time was he anything close to a rookie.  One of the times he did it, he only had 9 hits in the 9 games, but he walked 16 times.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

Adley is now 3rd in WAR (2.0 FWAR) in AL among rookies behind Rodriguez (3.1) and Peña (2.7). 

BB-ref has Rodriguez at 3.8, Pena at 3.3, Adley 2.0.  I won’t say it’s impossible for Adley to catch them, but it will be challenging.

By the way, because Adley missed the first 40 games, tonight (game 101) is the halfway point in his season.  So, by both fWAR and rWAR, he’s on pace to finish around 4.0 WAR despite missing one quarter of the season.  That’s damned impressive, and considering it took him a few weeks to get going offensively, I won’t be surprised if the finishes higher.  

We have the stud we were hoping for, and he’s just getting started.  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

BB-ref has Rodriguez at 3.8, Pena at 3.3, Adley 2.0.  I won’t say it’s impossible for Adley to catch them, but it will be challenging.

By the way, because Adley missed the first 40 games, tonight (game 101) is the halfway point in his season.  So, by both fWAR and rWAR, he’s on pace to finish around 4.0 WAR despite missing one quarter of the season.  That’s damned impressive, and considering it took him a few weeks to get going offensively, I won’t be surprised if the finishes higher.  

We have the stud we were hoping for, and he’s just getting started.  

IF...and I agree it would be tough to catch Rodriguez and Pena...but IF...he plays well enough to challenge, he is likely also playing well enough to continue to help the O's win.  ROY or not, if he continues to play well he will be in the spotlight.  

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

I’m glad he’s been hitting #2 recently.  The line up is much stronger with him toward the top.  OBP, OPS, pitch count…. He’s a machine who doesn’t have many bad ABs.

And, surprisingly, he actually runs well. He's no Jorge Mateo, but he's also no Sal Fasano.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

And, surprisingly, he actually runs well. He's no Jorge Mateo, but he's also no Sal Fasano.

Yeah he’s quicker than I had thought too.  Plus Hh’s got good instincts.  I saw a game in Aberdeen where he was on 1st and read a pitch in the dirt.  He got a good break and made it to 2nd easily.  Same game he extended what I thought would be a single in the gap to a double on a ball that didn’t get to the wall.