Time for Nevin and Odor to go

Brooks The Great

3 hours ago, baltfan said:

Agreed but it’s marginal at this point.  Let’s see what happens when Hays is ok. I suspect Odor’s playing time will take a hit. 

It’s Marginal? Odor has proven he can no longer hit for average in the majors. McKenna really hasn’t been given an opportunity to play regularly. His OPS is in the .670s despite sitting a lot. He plays good defense and has speed. 

11 hours ago, baltfan said:

Agreed but it’s marginal at this point.  Let’s see what happens when Hays is ok. I suspect Odor’s playing time will take a hit. 

McKenna gives you plus defense at three positions, and plus base running….and he’s been decent at the plate. It’s not even remotely marginal 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

It’s Marginal? Odor has proven he can no longer hit for average in the majors. McKenna really hasn’t been given an opportunity to play regularly. His OPS is in the .670s despite sitting a lot. He plays good defense and has speed. 

They have nearly identical OPS’s.  Yes, McKenna is a better fielder but Odor has also had an inordinate amount of big hits late in games.  I think Odor plays too much and would like to see more of Vavra but let’s see what happens when Hays comes back.  

2 minutes ago, seak05 said:

McKenna gives you plus defense at three positions, and plus base running….and he’s been decent at the plate. It’s not even remotely marginal 

I like him better too but my larger point is the difference between Vavra and Odor is larger than Odor vs McKenna.  And I will go on record saying McKenna is going to be a great 4th outfielder.  

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

They have nearly identical OPS’s.  Yes, McKenna is a better fielder but Odor has also had an inordinate amount of big hits late in games.  I think Odor plays too much and would like to see more of Vavra but let’s see what happens when Hays comes back.  

.618 VS .672 is not nearly identical. That’s like saying a .250 average is nearly identical to a .302 and it just isn’t. 

Mckenna is hitting .257 vs .195 for Odor. If Odor was hitting.257 no one would be asking for him to be DFA

Edited by Roll Tide
  • Upvote 1

I'm okay with Odor finishing the season with the O's, but on the bench in a PH, rare start role.  The one hidden data point he has going for him is Clutch Hitting Scenarios & Late Inning Performance, hence why I like him in a PH role.  He can continue to be a cheerleader, but we need to try and put our best 9 or 10 on the field and that probably includes Stowers and/or Henderson at this point.

The 2-headed monster of Phillips/McKenna is actually intriguing with Hays missing time and the DH spot open since Mancini left too. 

McKenna vs LHP - .927 OPS this season.  Phillips is a career .704 OPS vs RH (God awful for career and especially this season vs LHP), better than McKenna's career .612 (this year McKenna and Phillips are both underwhelming vs RHP with .582 vs .578).  If McKenna gets hot, maybe he gets a few starts vs RH pitching, but one thing is for sure, if Phillips starts it will never be against LHP and McKenna will come in EVERY time a LHP Reliever is in to face Phillips. They might be able to combine for a combined .700+ OPS w/ stellar D. I still think he was acquired thinking another OF was going to be dealt, but it may workout in the end if both are utilized correctly.