Jorge Lopez traded to Twins for pitching prospects (edit)

interloper

I would feel better about this if any of the players that Elias had traded for in the past had actually hit.  His track record on trades has been pretty spotty.  Of course, we were more desperate before and they do seem to have figured something out with more recent waiver claims.

3 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

At first glance I am disappointed and puzzled by this trade.  Lopez is not a fluke; he is not the first failed starter whose stuff plays up in short stints.  Guys who can throw 99 MPH sinkers with wicked movement and command do not grow on trees--the last time the O's had one, his name was Zach Britton.  I see no reason that Lopez can't continue to be an excellent back-end reliever for the next few years.  The fact that we got him on waivers is irrelevant.  If you find a Van Gogh at a yard sale, it's still a Van Gogh, and you don't sell it cheap.  

Sadly, I find it all too plausible that Elias was told that the club didn't want to pay Lopez' Arb 2 salary in 2023, and so he had to trade him now.   

The only caveat is that I want to know more about the FCL guys, especially the 18 year old lefty.  Does he have high-end stuff or is he more of a pitchability guy?  Otherwise, I don't see a lot of upside in this trade.  I'm not too impressed with Povich.  His K/BB numbers are good but he gives up too many home runs.  You don't trade an all-star reliever for a guy whose ceiling is to be a number 4-5 starter.  I agree with earlier posters who pointed out that guys like Cano are available on the waiver wire routinely.   

Finally, maybe we shouldn't be surprised at the low return considering that the Twins are the one team that Lopez bombed against this season.  

Decent post until the last sentence.  The Twins, most likely, offered a better package than the teams Lopez dominated this year.

20 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

We got 6 pitchers in return for 1 and a 30 year old DH who has had a starter level WAR for only 2 seasons...and people are upset at this?  I legitimately do not understand.

Nobody is upset at the Mancini trade.  We're talking about the Lopez trade, which in isolation doesn't look very good to me yet.  

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

Fantastic sell high.  Dude worries me going forward.

I feel exactly the opposite. I find Lopez's performance since he was moved to short relief to be very convincing, and I don't see anything that gives me reason to believe that he's suddenly going to regress (other than the general volatility of short-relievers). This comes off to me as selling for whatever they could get now, in order to not pay him next year. Otherwise, why not wait for other opportunities? Teams would have been looking for a closer this off-season. 

Maybe Lopez falls off a cliff and Elias ends up looking smart for dodging that bullet, but that isn't what I'm expecting.

• Upvote 1

Well, was initially ecstatic to see Elias' conviction and ballsiness in continuing to sell high no matter the optics, López was a guy I wanted to see traded, but the return is really underwhelming. Hard to understand but you have to imagine they like something about one of the younger two guys. 

• Upvote 1