Will the Orioles eventually increase payroll significantly?

tinman

Tinman you are my spirit animal.

Of course the answer is NO, but don't you worry the water carriers already have their excuses lined up ready to go. 

I mean they should literally have 400m in unspent revenue from the past 4 years just sitting there waiting for the "right time".  The right time, that will never come. Oh the MASN dispute.."international spending"...this........that....there is ALWAYS an excuse.  

If I owned this team I would never sell, considering how conditioned this fanbase is to have their face spit in on a regular basis and then told it was raining while the sun is shining. 

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Elias has done exactly what he told us he would.  He told us money would be there when the time was right.  No reason not to take him at his word.  

I'm done giving this franchise any benefit of the doubt. They're going to have to prove it for me.

It’s easy to target payroll and assume or think it won’t increase under an Angelo’s.  That said - I believe our payroll hit top 10 in MLB during our mid-2010’s run.  And then, when we spent money (on Chris Davis) you see where it got us.

We will know more in the next 12-24 months as to the “new” Angelo’s stance.  If they don’t spend, MLB won’t be happy.  I too expect a sale sooner than later but have no inside info.

Our success in the mid 2010’s came with a lot less player development and more “good player hits” at the right time (Chen, Gonzalez, Crush, etc.). I feel like we have a better head start based on our player development alone.  

None of these moves were made to slash payroll.  They were made to add players to a minor league system that needs more pitching competition.  You could argue that Elias should have made trades to enhance the team for 2022.  I would have disagreed with this approach if it meant giving up our good minor league talent.  Look at what those in front of us did today.  I would not give up talent to put us in a position to win, what, the wildcard round?  It’s about 2023,24, etc… sustained success.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, tinman said:

Yea, I get the basic features of a total rebuild. Don't mess with free agency, trade guys who are in their arb years, ride out bad contracts, suck and acquire top draft picks. All this leads to a plummeting payroll. So here we are with the lowest payroll in the MLB when just a few years ago we hovered around league average. Will we return to a middle of the pack spending team when we are ready to compete again or will ownership be giant jerks and become accustomed to being frugal. Never underestimate the avarice of Peter Angelos.

It's pretty clear that what the Orioles spend has nothing to do with Peter Angelos. The question is the extent to which John Angelos is willing to reduce short-term profits in order to add payroll beyond the automatic increases as controlled players move up the ladder.

The current payroll is ridiculously low -- about $24 million for the 26-man roster plus $6 million for guys on the injured list, by far the lowest in MLB. With Trey gone, only Lyles and Santander will make over $1 million this year, and we don't know whether either will be on the 2023 team. I don't know what amount will be automatically added for controlled players, especially because there will be new MLers coming in at the bottom of the scale. $15 million maybe, and that's probably generous unless there are contract extensions. That takes you to $45 million.

I believe the team will be sold shortly after Peter's death. With that premise, it's hard to see payroll going much above, say, $65 million next year for the ML roster plus players on the IL, compared to the current $30 million. That amount would be lower than the 2022 comparable payroll for every team other than the Pirates and A's. 

I still find it strange that the majority of respondents on this board think that a huge payroll is the ticket to sustained winning.

And that it's what we should be working toward.

And that O's ownership are bums for not having a huge payroll.

The entire point of the rebuild and the hiring of this particular baseball executive is to put a perpetual winner on the field WITHOUT having a huge payroll.

Stock the farm.... graduate stud players... play them to the final ARB years...  and trade them for restock...

Lather, rinse, repeat.

That's the way things are going to be happening here (and for the better)... and anyone looking for big contract ball players is going to be disappointed (thankfully)

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, WarehouseChatter said:

None of these moves were made to slash payroll.  They were made to add players to a minor league system that needs more pitching competition.  You could argue that Elias should have made trades to enhance the team for 2022.  I would have disagreed with this approach if it meant giving up our good minor league talent.  Look at what those in front of us did today.  I would not give up talent to put us in a position to win, what, the wildcard round?  It’s about 2023,24, etc… sustained success.

Perhaps not slash payroll, but you can make a good argument that part of the logic to the Lopez trade was to lower next year's payroll.