The Orioles have found their announcing team on TV/Radio

Tony-OH

I've come around on Brown, even though he still tries to be cute ALL the time, "....and the 11th overall pick of the 2019 draft deals to the FIRST overall pick of the 2019 draft..." he's still distant to Thorne but way ahead of Garceau, Newman and anyone else...I'm looking at you Michael "Randall K. Myers" Reghi.  Those are low bars to hurdle for sure, but seriously dude, STFU about Arsenal and soccer.  No one cares, we're not watching a soccer broadcast.

McDonald is fine, but I still prefer Palmer even though Palmer's getting up there in years and might not be as quick as he used to be.  

I haven't listened on the radio in awhile but I've liked what I've heard from Geoff Arnold when he's been on TV.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I've come around on Brown, even though he still tries to be cute ALL the time, "....and the 11th overall pick of the 2019 draft deals to the FIRST overall pick of the 2019 draft..." he's still distant to Thorne but way ahead of Garceau, Newman and anyone else...I'm looking at you Michael "Randall K. Myers" Reghi.  Those are low bars to hurdle for sure, but seriously dude, STFU about Arsenal and soccer.  No one cares, we're not watching a soccer broadcast.

McDonald is fine, but I still prefer Palmer even though Palmer's getting up there in years and might not be as quick as he used to be.  

I haven't listened on the radio in awhile but I've liked what I've heard from Geoff Arnold when he's been on TV.  

I miss Gary Thorne, probably always will. But I like Kevin and Ben and it would probably be cool if they just added Palmer to those broadcasts as well. I think he’s just being facetious with the soccer talk because he’s just trying to mess around with Ben, who obviously can’t stand soccer. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Since 2020, the Orioles have been doing this rotation of announcers between TV and radio and the best part about it is by doing so, I'm pretty sure they found their perfect teams. I'm hoping in 2022 and beyond, these are the teams they go with and only bring in others if there is a game by game need.

TV: Kevin Brown (PBP) and Ben McDonald (color analyst)

With out a doubt Kevin Brown is the guy. He's insightful, funny, quirky at times, but just a fantastic fit with Ben McDonald particularly. He's found a way to balance being excited for the home town without sounding like a total and utter homer. Brown needs to be signed long term to be the everyday TV play by play guy. 

Now I know this is where people are going give me fits, but here me out. I was starting to worry that Ben was starting to go the Mike Bordick route with over use of baseball clichés and being a total homer in his analysis. But Ben has really turned it around of late, and his "Louisiana boy" mix with Brown is fantastic. Ben has been fantastic at saying what the next pitch will be when prompted by Brown and 90% of the time he's been right on and the result was a good one. 

Now, I know Palmer has been here a long time, and he's an absolute Legend on the field and off with the Orioles, but I think it's time to minimize Palmer's games to games when Ben can't announce due to his ESPN college baseball work. Palmer is still good overall, and we know he brings the photographic memory or every event that took place in baseball that he's seen, but I think it's time to transition to Ben as the primary color guy with Brown.

Radio: Geoff Arnold and Brett Hollander

Geoff has become Kevin Brown-lite and honestly, he could be the TV guy as well, but Geoff has become very good at describing the action while adding enough inflection into his calls to give out the excitement of the play. Geoff sounds very professional and has become a joy to listen to on the air. Hollander has become very good as well and works well being the Manfra to Arnold's Angel. Brett has gotten better at his play by play calls and although he'll occasionally under describe the action leaving us for a few seconds to wonder where the ball went, he's good at making sure the call comes across as the crowd is reacting, not behind the crowd reaction. He works very well with Arnold and together they are very good radio team.

Studio: Melanie Newman

Now Newman may get an opportunity to go on to the national scene doing announcing or studio work, but she's very prepared during her studio segments and even her in game stuff can be alright (I'm not a fan of any of the in game studio stuff by anyone honestly, but she's the least annoying at it). 

In my mind, these are the best people for the roles as the everyday teams.

If they want to add an announcer, they should highly consider getting Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp announcer Scott Kornberg. Out of all the minor league games I watch with the affiliates, he stands out as the best of them all. He can do play by play but is also one of the most prepared announcers I've seen with stories and backgrounds of opposing team players. He's quite amazing.

Newman is boring and monotone. I’m ok with her doing the studio crap but can’t listen when she’s on. 

I like Brown and McDonald ….except the Roughy this and Roughy that that McDonald was doing yesterday before the rain delay. Are they being told to pump his contribution. Defensively he’s a competent 2B but I don’t think he’s elite.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

I miss Gary Thorne, probably always will. But I like Kevin and Ben and it would probably be cool if they just added Palmer to those broadcasts as well. I think he’s just being facetious with the soccer talk because he’s just trying to mess around with Ben, who obviously can’t stand soccer. 

He's not the only one that can't stand soccer...

Actually, that's not true.  I kinda like soccer.  If it's on at a bar, I'll watch it.  I get it, I understand it.  Kick the ball around, the offense tries to penetrate the defense from a variety of angles.  The momentum builds and builds, someone gets a shot on goal and it's exciting.  Or someone like Maradona makes a run against like he did against England in the '86 World Cup, it's magical.

But I can't stand soccer fans who have an air about them because they can talk about their favorite Premier League team.  I don't care what time you're waking up on a weekend to watch a game, I'm not impressed.  

And yeah, leave Ben alone with the soccer stuff, it's pretentious and obnoxious.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Newman is boring and monotone. I’m ok with her doing the studio crap but can’t listen when she’s on. 

I like Brown and McDonald ….except the Roughy this and Roughy that that McDonald was doing yesterday before the rain delay. Are they being told to pump his contribution. Defensively he’s a competent 2B but I don’t think he’s elite.

Well it's his nickname in the clubhouse and I think the guy is a darn likeable dude, so I imagine they are rooting for him to do well. But they know, Brown especially since he is very efficient in statcast and fangraph type of stats. I do think talk up the good defense a little too much, but that's one I'm giving them a bit of a pass on because they do it when discussing Hays and Santander as well. 

Agree w/ Tony, time to make these pairings permanent. Palmer subs when Ben is doing college baseball. I am fine w/ Newman pre-/post and in game. Rob Long is tolerable. Scott Garceau needs a permanent retirement and do not let Newman do play by play.

Gary Thorne was on Glenn Clark's show last week and he said he lives in Arizona but occaisonally fills in on Mets broadcasts. Why not have him do the same when Brown is unavailable?

• Upvote 2

Tony, I pretty much agree with your take except that I’m in no hurry to push Jim Palmer aside.   Brown is head and shoulders our best PBP guy, either TV or radio, and Arnold is second best.  I see Palmer and McDonald as about equal and both far superior to the other color guys we’ve had over the years.  McDonald is certainly the future here and I’d be thrilled to listen to Kevin and him for the next 20 years.  Arnold and 
Hollander are very solid and team up well together.  

As to Melanie, I agree studio is her best role and I’m even okay with her occasionally doing TV PBP or radio color.  Just don’t have her responsible for describing the action on the radio.  

• Upvote 4

I'm shocked by how good McDonald is.   I remember hearing him in interviews back when he was a player and I didn't think he was particularly articulate.   I love listening to him.   He does need to ease up on the cliches, but he has a good voice for the job and the southern accent adds a bit of character.   His insights into the game action are great.   Agree that Kevin Brown/Ben McDonald is an awesome combo.