MLB Network: Adley Rutschman: Difference Maker

Tony-OH

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, it’s the worst case scenario.  You lose the year and don’t get the pick.

It’s a crappy change in the new CBA. I get it theoretically prevents games with service time manipulation but in this case there was none this year and he’s performed very well, why should they be penalized? why should top 2 get the service time but not third finisher? Why do only top two get pick not #3?

IMO the way it should have worked was if you spend more than 30 or 45 days in majors no matter when it occurs during the first year you get a year of service time. So September callups retain eligibility for ROY and don’t count towards service time, even having a week or two during the year doesn’t matter. If the owners balked at this just change it to 7 years to FA with four arb years where year one counts no matter what. 
currently a guy comes up OD or in April and he gets full year so only six years til FA, but anyone brought up post April or whatnot has 6.75 years to FA with the exception of the lucky two top finishers. So part of 7 seasons is pretty much what everyone gets anyway. 

He certainly deserves the accolades based on his performance just seems bogus to not get a pick when he was hurt to start the year.

I wonder and hope this pushes them to start contract extension talks to lock him up through 2030.

On 8/17/2022 at 11:41 AM, glenn__davis said:

Adley seems well-liked by his teammates, but I've wondered if there would be any resentment that he tends to get a lot of credit for the team's turnaround, especially from some guys that have been here for a while.  Last night Kremer was asked about him, and while he was very complementary towards Adley, I just kind of got a bit of a "Yeah he's good but other guys are good too" vibe.  He specifically mentioned that he feels great with both Adley and "Robby" back there.  Could have totally been in my head.

I doubt it bothers anyone much, but I did get the same vibe from Kremer as you did.  

My reading of the CBA says that Adley will get a full year of service time AND be eligible for the PPI compensation pick, so he's still eligible for the comp pick through winning ROY.  Is this incorrect?  The worst-case scenario is if he finishes top-3 in ROY but doesn't win it, because then we get no draft pick and he's automatically super-2.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2022/03/10/major-league-baseball-labor-agreement-details/49919225/

By the way, if he gets a full year of service time, he still has next year to get top-3 MVP. Based on how good he looks right now, that doesn't seem so far-fetched.

Edited by Hallas

17 minutes ago, Hallas said:

My reading of the CBA says that Adley will get a full year of service time AND be eligible for the PPI compensation pick, so he's still eligible for the comp pick through winning ROY.  Is this incorrect?  The worst-case scenario is if he finishes top-3 in ROY but doesn't win it, because then we get no draft pick and he's automatically super-2.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2022/03/10/major-league-baseball-labor-agreement-details/49919225/

By the way, if he gets a full year of service time, he still has next year to get top-3 MVP. Based on how good he looks right now, that doesn't seem so far-fetched.

We only get compensation if he was up to start the year, at least that's my understanding.  Since he was injured and wasn't on the opening roster, him finishing in top ROY voting ranks gives him a full year of service time, but nothing for the Os.  

8 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

We only get compensation if he was up to start the year, at least that's my understanding.  Since he was injured and wasn't on the opening roster, him finishing in top ROY voting ranks gives him a full year of service time, but nothing for the Os.  

So I've done some digging, and the wording is a little unclear, and you could interpret it as "you get draft pick compensation if you promote a player in time to receive a full year service time in his first year" or "you get draft pick compensation if a player receives a full year service time in a first year."  The difference is significant because in the first case, you could argue that a team won't receive the pick, but the player will receive a full year service time if they win ROY.  In the second case, a player who wins ROY gets a full year service time by default, and when they were promoted is irrelevant.

Edited by Hallas