Saturday, August 13: DL Hall Makes his Debut vs Shane-o-mac

justD

1 minute ago, winning said:

The only point of baseball is to win the game.

You don’t, can’t, win every game.  Having a player get his first taste of ML ball has value, win or lose.

And, Adley can’t catch every game.  Today’s game is no more or less important than yesterday’s or tomorrow’s.

1 minute ago, Gurgi said:

How old are you?  Your abnormally whinny.   Maybe think of changing your name from Winning to Whinning?

He's 30.  When he was 22, he banged an older married lady and got a DUI in the same night.  And now he's very mature and thinks young athletes shouldn't be handed large contracts because since he couldn't handle himself, well, neither can they.

• Haha 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

They should change pitchers all the time if it keeps Kevin Brown from talking about soccer.

The Pepsi logo on the jersey is bigger than the Orioles logo for the giveaway. 

We will see sponsors on the jerseys next year I believe. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t get why it is even being brought up. Chrinos has caught for 11 years and WS games. He isn’t capable of catching a debut?

He's capable but

He's not as good at blocking pitches.

He's not as good at framing.

He's never caught Hall outside of maybe a bullpen in ST.

2 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

I feel like I'm breaking this news to you, and you might need to sit down for this: the Orioles are not winning a pennant in 2022. Not every machination this team makes should be or is concerned about this season. Thoughts and prayers as you process this news.

While I agree in general.. pitching the kid today tells me very little about hom for 2023 .. or even for the rest of 2022 except he still has some road bumps to straighten out if he is going to be a ML starter.  

And the “plan” while driving most everything and one I strongly agree with.. it occasionally can and must be tweaked to give way to the 49 games of this season yet to be played.   And that it won’t harm one iota of any rebuild by doing that occasionally. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree Adley should have been back there today for his first start.  I get it, sort of a day game after a night game, but not really, just 3 hours away from being another night game.  

But pitchers don't always get to throw to the first string catcher and don't always get the A lineup.  

Situations aren't always optimal.  I mean, it's obvious that Hall has command issues and starting at the Trop (really, climate controlled and a not a hostile environment, it's pretty low key) against McClanahan and having Chirinos back there doesn't change that fact.

Fair enough, and I'm not saying the conditions were the cause of Hall's performance. It just feels weird that Hall was sort of a pawn in this general scheme to throw the towel in today. I'm sure the FO/coaches justified it as an opportunity to get Hall a start before moving him to the pen.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Wow, my little league team would have loved to have you in the stands.

You would have cursed out the 14 year old ump right?

I was umpiring when I was 16 for some Little League games and there was a call I made at 3rd base on a triple attempt that one of the coaches considered blown by me and he wrote an editorial in the local small town paper criticizing the league use of teen umpires. I kind of wish I'd saved the clipping. Another writer or two defended me the following week. The whole experience was kind of tough on me as the coach was the father of one of my best friends at the time. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, winning said:

Watkins should have started the game today. 

Probably.  It is an odd decision to bring him up just weeks after Elias said he needed to improve his command to be brought up.  The command did not improve.  

Maybe they brought him up as a morale boosting exercise?  I dont know how common it is for a GM to call a AAA pitcher personally after a couple of miserable starts and tell him we still had him in our plans.  It is kind of odd.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's capable but

He's not as good at blocking pitches.

He's not as good at framing.

He's never caught Hall outside of maybe a bullpen in ST.

Can Adley frame pitches that miss by a foot? It’s one start. Adley is going to play DH many more times. 

• Upvote 1