Jud Fabian 2022

ShoelesJoe

36 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I wonder if the quick promotion was because Fabian was a year older? or just crowded OF? 

Fabian is older than Beavers but he's age appropriate for a college junior as he doesn't turn 22 until September.    I don't think it has anything to do with age.   I think it has to do with his performance, a crowded roster at Delmarva,  and no elite prospects besides Kjerstad in the Aberdeen outfield.   

57 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

The front office love this kid. Jim Callis had the minor league director, Matt Blood, on a podcast and asked him who were the guys in the system to watch going forward. Blood named Fabian alongside Joey Ortiz and Coby Mayo.

That wasn’t the question Blood was asked.  He was asked who in the system may not be getting as much attention as they deserve.   

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That wasn’t the question Blood was asked.  He was asked who in the system may not be getting as much attention as they deserve.   

Wasn't trying to misrepresent the question, just didn't remember the exact wording given that it's a podcast. Regardless, he grouped those three together, which I think is notable for Fabian.

1 minute ago, Alasdaire said:

Wasn't trying to misrepresent the question, just didn't remember the exact wording given that it's a podcast. Regardless, he grouped those three together, which I think is notable for Fabian.

Yeah, and I wasn’t accusing you of doing anything intentional.  I actually listened to that little part of the podcast twice the other day.  As I noted somewhere else, when Blood touts a player as being under the radar, he’s generally been proven right.   He isn’t going to say anything negative about any player, but when he singles out a couple of guys it’s worth paying attention.   

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Hazmat said:

Awesome development.  I was checking out Brooks Lee's stats earlier today and noticed that he played 4 games in the FCL before jumping straight to A+ ball where he is currently OPSing .825.  Jud is about 4 months older than Lee.

It would be pretty awesome if Jud performs as well as Brooks while moving up thru the minors.  A lot of experts predicted Brooks to the O's at #1.

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, and I wasn’t accusing you of doing anything intentional.  I actually listened to that little part of the podcast twice the other day.  As I noted somewhere else, when Blood touts a player as being under the radar, he’s generally been proven right.   He isn’t going to say anything negative about any player, but when he singles out a couple of guys it’s worth paying attention.   

He singled out Daschbach as well. So let's not make him infallible. Saying that, I don't have an issue with any one of those three players as guys who are a bit under the radar nationally. 

Fabian has been shockingly good so far after a couple of underwhelming college seasons. 

From Maria Torres in The Athletic:

“No one has more extra-base hits in the last two weeks than Orioles’ 2022 second-rounder Jud Fabian and Dodgers’ 2022 second-rounder Dalton Rushing, each of whom have 12 since Aug. 15. Fabian’s career has gotten off to a strong start, a trend that may not have been easy to predict following the 21-year-old’s up-and-down senior campaign at Florida. Fabian has consistently put the ball in the air without selling out his approach. His strikeout rate after 10 games for Low-A Delmarva is a manageable 17 percent, while his line drive rate is 54 percent and his fly ball rate is 31 percent. He has hit .386 with seven doubles, two triples and three home runs in in the Carolina League — and that line freezes there, at least for now. Fabian moves up to High-A Aberdeen this week.”

https://theathletic.com/3547107/2022/08/30/mlb-prospects-jasson-dominguez-jud-fabian/

It's easy to get carried away with a hot start.  I want to see how he handles Aberdeen.  And, quite frankly, I want to see how he handles his first failure in the minors...cold streak, etc.  Glad to see he's handled Delmarva but, IMO, a good college bat (I know he didn't have a great season this year at Florida but the brother @Jammer7gave some insight as to why that might be) drafted in the 2nd round should be able to mash at that level.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's easy to get carried away with a hot start.  I want to see how he handles Aberdeen.  And, quite frankly, I want to see how he handles his first failure in the minors...cold streak, etc.  Glad to see he's handled Delmarva but, IMO, a good college bat (I know he didn't have a great season this year at Florida but the brother @Jammer7gave some insight as to why that might be) drafted in the 2nd round should be able to mash at that level.

While a good college hitter should be able to mash at Low A, what constitutes a good college hitter?   Did Norby mash?  There are levels of mashing.  Yes, Fabian needs to prove himself every step of the way against more advanced pitching but his "mashing" so far is at an elite level for a player who had huge question marks.   I think very few people expected Fabian mashing right away, if ever.   I expected a player with high strikeout rates, a .250 ish average with power, who might get better as they worked with him.    What he was doing was exceeding what Cowser, a #5 pick overall, had done at Delmarva last year, and we all thought that was pretty darn good.   The low expectations combined with the high level of hitting performance is impressive.   Now, let's see how he does at Aberdeen.   The air could go out of the balloon pretty quickly.   Just ask Heston Kjerstad.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

While a good college hitter should be able to mash at Low A, what constitutes a good college hitter?   Did Norby mash?  There are levels of mashing.  Yes, Fabian needs to prove himself every step of the way against more advanced pitching but his "mashing" so far is at an elite level for a player who had huge question marks.   I think very few people expected Fabian mashing right away, if ever.   I expected a player with high strikeout rates, a .250 ish average with power, who might get better as they worked with him.    What he was doing was exceeding what Cowser, a #5 pick overall, had done at Delmarva last year, and we all thought that was pretty darn good.   The low expectations combined with the high level of hitting performance is impressive.   Now, let's see how he does at Aberdeen.   The air could go out of the balloon pretty quickly.   Just ask Heston Kjerstad.

Really other than Hernaiz, almost every "prospect" has struggled a bit in Aberdeen, especially initially. It's going to be a real test for him. Something about that league and or course Aberdeen's cavernous power alleys affects the hitters. 

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/hot-sheet-baseballs-20-hottest-prospects-from-the-past-week-83022/

13. Jud Fabian, OF, Orioles 
Team: Low-A Delmarva (Carolina) 

Why He’s Here: .348/.423/.826 (8-for-23), 8 R, 1 2B, 2 3B, 2 HR, 5 RBIs, 3 BB, 7 SO

The Scoop: After a strong 10 games at the Low-A level, Fabian was promoted Monday to High-A Aberdeen. Last week Fabian had a hit in all five games he played in and an extra-base hit in four out of the five. He had two multi-hit games and three games where he reached base three times. He hit eight balls in play at 95-plus mph last week, with three balls over 100 mph that all went for extra bases. Fabian has shown power and on-base ability early in his professional career, as expected. How Fabian handles more advanced competition will be interesting to watch over the final few weeks of this season and early next spring, as his strikeout issues at Florida were well documented.  (GP)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Realistically, these sample sizes are miniscule and mean very little.   But just as realistically, I’d rather have Fabian start off red hot than ice cold.  It’s more fun to be excited than concerned about a player who’s just getting started.   We’ll see how the two weeks plus playoffs at Aberdeen go - the jump from low A to hi A is pretty big these days.  Just ask Heston Kjerstad.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Realistically, these sample sizes are miniscule and mean very little.   But just as realistically, I’d rather have Fabian start off red hot than ice cold.  It’s more fun to be excited than concerned about a player who’s just getting started.   We’ll see how the two weeks plus playoffs at Aberdeen go - the jump from low A to hi A is pretty big these days.  Just ask Heston Kjerstad.  

DON'T YOU GO TELLING THE OH THAT A HOT MINOR LEAGUE START IS MINISCULE AND MEANS VERY LITTLE, FROBBY!!  

Stop being so logical all the time, damn.  

• Haha 1