Gambling coming to OPACY?

Sports Guy

43 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think it's dangerous to rely on the idea that the players and umps and managers have more money than the gamblers and their financiers as the firewall between scandal and no scandal.  Something like 50% of pro athletes (the reference is NFL, but I'm sure other sports are similar) are bankrupt within a few years of being out of the league.  Giving a 20-year-old $5M usually results in them spending $5M in short order and getting very accustomed to that kind of lifestyle.  A $500k injection from a wise guy might look pretty enticing to a guy who might be out of the game and out of cash next year.

Yeah, but to anyone's knowledge that's never happened.  In professional American sports it's been the Black Sox, 65 years of nothing, Pete Rose, the NBA ref (who has a Netflix documentary coming out that I can't wait to see) and Calvin Ridley (who was betting on NFL games and not betting on his own team, no big deal).

I understand where you're coming from on a lot of this.  I simply wouldn't want the gambling house at Camden Yards because I find FanDuel and DraftKings to be tacky.  It's like putting a trailer park in the middle of a really nice upscale community.  I'm not 100% anti-gambling, I'm just anti-tacky and I find a lot of gambling culture to be tacky.

I also get the inherent dangers of gambling, especially from the consumer angle as I've seen people lose it all.  That said, I really don't see it being dangerous that these guys (the players) have more money than the gamblers.  Drungo, you've made everyone well aware of your stance here but every scenario you've outlined is pretty much a doomsday scenario. This hypothetical you've concocted is more of the same, worst case, paralyzed by fear situation that hasn't occurred to anyone's knowledge.

I know, I know.  But it COULD occur.  

33 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I understand where you're coming from on a lot of this.  I simply wouldn't want the gambling house at Camden Yards because I find FanDuel and DraftKings to be tacky.  It's like putting a trailer park in the middle of a really nice upscale community.  I'm not 100% anti-gambling, I'm just anti-tacky and I find a lot of gambling culture to be tacky.

Yes, if it belongs anywhere it's a strip mall in Glen Burnie with a burner phone place, a nail salon, and a bar that features Keno.

• Haha 1

I think it is a pretty bad look.  Baseball to continue to have signs in every clubhouse saying don't gamble...and still going into the gambling business.

I am fine with Rose and Shoeless Joe not being in the hall, but that changes with baseball bringing gambling into it's own house.

And Moose, you forgot to add Michael Jordan to the list of gambling casualties.  Pretty widely believed that his excursion into baseball had gambling roots.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, foxfield said:

And Moose, you forgot to add Michael Jordan to the list of gambling casualties.  Pretty widely believed that his excursion into baseball had gambling roots.

That's just silly.

First, it's never been proven.  Second, if you believe that the NBA would quietly suspend their most valuable asset and the most marketable athlete in the world and perhaps of all time over some gambling that wasn't even related to the NBA, I have a bridge to sell you.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

That's just silly.

First, it's never been proven.  Second, if you believe that the NBA would quietly suspend their most valuable asset and the most marketable athlete in the world and perhaps of all time over some gambling that wasn't even related to the NBA, I have a bridge to sell you.

Moose, I was largely being tongue in cheek. 1) I have met MJ and have absolutely no idea what he did or didn't do.  2) The NBA would absolutely find a way to make a gambling issue go away.  3). If you do not believe that, watch the film you posted above about Pete Rose.